2016 was quite an eventful year for Pakistani music. A handful of albums were released; celebrated acts like QB and Ahmed Jehanzeb returned to the fore while Coke Studio completed another season. Upcoming acts like Naseer & Shahab, SomeWhatSuper also gained a foothold and most importantly, the likes of Hadiqa Kiani and Sajjad Ali could be seen fighting the test of time and keeping themselves and their music relevant to the market.
10 evergreen Junaid Jamshed songs we will never forget
At the same time Nescafe Basement was finally acknowledged like the way it should be for launching some exceptional musicians and reinventing classics in a way that Coke Studio was known for doing. The onslaught of film music continued but only a handful of songs could actually stand out for their cinematic experience, this is perhaps one area where we still need to develop as an industry.
Coke Studio's Afreen Afreen tops Youtube Pakistan's most viewed video list
Here is a list of the top 10 tracks that made it big this year:
1) Bhit Ja Bhitai (Telenor Rawaan) by Shani Arshad
2) Khaki Banda (Coke Studio)
3) Dobara Phir Se by Haniya Aslam & Ali Hamza
4) Jogi- The Sketches Ft- John Pepper
5) Hero: Naseer & Shahab
6) Piya Dekhan Ko (Mahi Mir) Shafqat Amanat Ali & Shahi Hasan
7) Saiyaan: Qurat Ul Ain Balouch
8) Umer Farooq - Patang (SomeWhatSuper Afterhours Mix)
9) Mushkil Asana : Hadiqa Kayani
10) Nakhun : Sajjad Ali
11) Zoe Viccaji- Ho Jao Aazad
12) Bholay Bhalay: Coke Studio featuring Meesha Shafi & Shani Arshad
13) Khaak Nasheen: Chand Tara Orchestra
14) Kitni Sadiyaan (Nescafe Basement)
15) Jind Jaan: Shehzad Roy
Vote for your favourite songs here. A list of the top 15 reader’s choice songs will be published on The Express Tribune’s website on December 30.
Have something to add to the story? Share it in the comments below.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ