Two suspected killers indicted after 15 years
Meanwhile, the same court also sentenced three men to 14 years in prison in an explosives possession case
A file photo of arrested militants. PHOTO: PPI
KARACHI:
An anti-terrorism court (ATC) indicted on Friday two suspects in a 15-year-old case pertaining to the murder of a lawyer, Mansoob Ali Qureshi.
The accused, identified as Syed Azmat Hussain alias Azmat and Muhammad Hameed alias Pappu, along with their absconding accomplices have been charged for killing the senior lawyer in September 2001 in Arambagh area. On Friday, ATC-I Judge Bashir Ahmed Khoso read out the charges against the suspects, said to be workers of a political party.
However, they pleaded not guilty and opted to contest the case. Therefore, the court summoned the prosecution witnesses with directions to record their evidence on November 12. Police had shown Abdul Wahab, Shahzad and Nasir as absconders in the case till now.
14-year imprisonment
Meanwhile, the same court also sentenced three men to 14 years in prison in an explosives possession case. The judge found the suspects, Syed Baqar Shah, Syed Junaid and Syed Mahrab, guilty of carrying around 5kgs of explosives in September last year in Sohrab Goth. Police had lodged a case against them under Section 4/5 of Explosive Substances Act read with Section 7 of the Anti-terrorism Act, 1997.
Published in The Express Tribune, October 29th, 2016.
An anti-terrorism court (ATC) indicted on Friday two suspects in a 15-year-old case pertaining to the murder of a lawyer, Mansoob Ali Qureshi.
The accused, identified as Syed Azmat Hussain alias Azmat and Muhammad Hameed alias Pappu, along with their absconding accomplices have been charged for killing the senior lawyer in September 2001 in Arambagh area. On Friday, ATC-I Judge Bashir Ahmed Khoso read out the charges against the suspects, said to be workers of a political party.
However, they pleaded not guilty and opted to contest the case. Therefore, the court summoned the prosecution witnesses with directions to record their evidence on November 12. Police had shown Abdul Wahab, Shahzad and Nasir as absconders in the case till now.
14-year imprisonment
Meanwhile, the same court also sentenced three men to 14 years in prison in an explosives possession case. The judge found the suspects, Syed Baqar Shah, Syed Junaid and Syed Mahrab, guilty of carrying around 5kgs of explosives in September last year in Sohrab Goth. Police had lodged a case against them under Section 4/5 of Explosive Substances Act read with Section 7 of the Anti-terrorism Act, 1997.
Published in The Express Tribune, October 29th, 2016.