Cyril was put on ECL as he was planning to leave country: Nisar

Published: October 13, 2016
Email
Federal Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan addressing a press conference at Nadra headquarters in Islamabad on Thursday October 13, 2016. PHOTO: MUDASSAR RAJA / EXPRESS

Federal Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan addressing a press conference at Nadra headquarters in Islamabad on Thursday October 13, 2016. PHOTO: MUDASSAR RAJA / EXPRESS

Two days after Cyril Almeida’s name was put on Exit Control List (ECL), Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar has said the senior journalist was put on the no-fly list as he was planning to leave the country while an inquiry had been ordered to investigate his news story.

The Dawn‘s staffer’s story, “Act against militants or face international isolation, civilians tell military” described what transpired in a high-level meeting in which the civil leadership allegedly criticised the military’s policies on militancy.

“Everything [regarding the Cyril’s case] should come to the fore… and I don’t have any reservations to it,” Nisar said, while responding to a journalist’s question during a presser in Islamabad. “I have invited the representatives of the CPNE and APNS to Islamabad and will talk at length on this issue with them.”

Editorial: Government’s ECL blunder

Nisar said the decision to put Cyril’s name on ECL was taken during a high-level security meeting. “It was decided that this was an attempt to hit our security paradigm in reference to a sensitive security meeting. There should be an investigation into the incident,” he upheld.

The country’s security czar lamented that the narrative of Pakistan enemies regarding the non-state actors was published in the article “despite all the participants of the meeting denied any such happenings”.

Govt dismisses ‘fabricated’ report, reaffirms army’s lead role in fight against terrorism

“When the journalist himself admitted in his report that all the [civilian] participants of the meeting denied the happenings how come the story was still published,” he questioned.

Claiming the news story was inaccurate, the minister said whoever leaked the information should be held accountable. “The journalist’s name was only put on ECL for inquiry and I am sure he won’t face any issues.”

I agree with the APNS that the issue should have ended with the publication of government’s rebuttal but the journalist again tweeted and said “I stand by each word of my story”.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (3)

  • Amir581
    Oct 13, 2016 - 6:27PM

    There is a saying “with great power comes great responsibility”. Fair journalism and irresponsible journalism are two different things. These journalists need to realize that when it comes to National Security, there is not compromise. I agree with the government on this one.Recommend

  • OSD
    Oct 13, 2016 - 7:40PM

    I strongly support the government on this issue, as the journalists and the newspaper were equally responsible for publishing this questionable news.Recommend

  • cuban
    Oct 14, 2016 - 7:57AM

    These journalists need to realize that when it comes to National Security, there is not compromise. I agree with the government on this one
    .
    The subject of this “private conversation” was simple – Diplomatic Corp of Pakistan couldn’t get International attention for Kashmir because Pakistan is associated with terrorism (Saeed, Haqanni etc). Pakistan’s reputation is tainted because of policies enacted by the Military and it’s a subject the Govt should have brought up at least a decade earlier. The fact that the govt is denying that the conversation even took place is disconcerting. Tell me exactly why the journalist endangered National Security?Recommend

More in Pakistan