Om Puri accused of insulting Indian Army, complaint filed

Published: October 5, 2016
He later apologised saying he's ready to be jailed for his comments. PHOTO: FILE

A police complaint has been filed against veteran actor Om Puri for his comments that were found to be insulting to Indian soldiers by a section of the film industry.

Complainant Prithvi Maske said, “Referring to the Indian Army and soldiers, he (Om Puri) said that we had not given the invitation to the soldiers of the Indian Army. They joined the army at their will.”

Saif Ali Khan breaks silence on MNS threat to Pakistani actors

During a debate on a TV channel, Om Puri said on Monday: “Did we force them to join the army? My father was also in the army… We are proud of them (soldiers)… I am asking you: Do you want India and Pakistan to become Israel and Palestine?

MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors leaves Bollywood divided

“I don’t give a damn to Salman Khan or some other Khan… Go to Modiji (Prime Minister Narendra Modi) and cancel their (Pakistani actors’) visas. Prepare 15-20 people as suicide bombers and send them to Pakistan.”

Here’s what he said:

Celebrities including filmmaker Ashoke Pandit and veteran actor Anupam Kher came out against Om Puri after his comments on the channel.

Ranbir Kapoor bats for peace as tensions rise

He later apologised for his insulting remarks saying, “I am very embarrassed. I first apologise to Nitin (a Uri attack martyr) family. I salute him for sacrificing his life for our safety. We have been making such sacrifices in the past too.”

“I just wanted to tell my friends that it’s time to celebrate because we taught a lesson to our enemy,” he added.

“I urge the entire nation to  give me any punishment for that. But if they don’t want to end this debate and forgive me, then I am willing to be jailed for six months,” he further said.

The film industry has been divided on the issue of banning Pakistani artistes in the wake of the September 18 Uri attack that left 19 Indian soldiers dead.

Have something to add to the story? Share it in the comments below.

• johnpauljones
    Oct 5, 2016 - 12:36PM

My respect of Mr Om Puri has increased ten folds.
    God bless him for being an honest man and a courageous man in these times of insanity and intolerance. Recommend

• Raees
    Oct 5, 2016 - 12:45PM

It is very painful that some people on both side of border are not ready to listen the voices of Peace and Love.Recommend

• Ali
    Oct 5, 2016 - 1:13PM

What is the benefit of these kinds of fighting and conflicts between India and Pakistan. Are the people of both these countries the beneficiary? Not at all. So why waste all this time and resources in conflict when you can invest these same resources in poverty eradication and education Recommend

• Yasser
    Oct 5, 2016 - 2:09PM

Indian Media is promoting hatred and overall India has become such an intolerant nation under the leadership of Prime Minister Modi.Recommend

• Aqeel
    Oct 5, 2016 - 2:38PM

So much for fredoom of speech. It was more assult then conversation. Reading indian people reaction. They just dont want to accept any other view. Recommend

• Ch. Allah Daad
    Oct 5, 2016 - 4:01PM

I watched this discussion and I can say that Indian anchors are no less evil. The bottom line is that Pakistani actors are legally in India on work permits. It’s government’s job to cancel their work permits and ask them to leave. The behaviour of certain Indians prove that they are mean, uncivilized and absolutely not worthy to be citizens of a great country. Recommend

• goggi (Lahore)
    Oct 5, 2016 - 5:37PM

An excellent saying of westerners for the Indian mentality as of Modi & like-minded, “either they are at your throat or lying in your feet!”Recommend

• mushtaq
    Oct 5, 2016 - 5:51PM

but what he said,did we force them to join the army, statement to me is brilliant,revolutionary,and makes sense,and truth about all armies.Recommend

• Disgusting
    Oct 5, 2016 - 9:46PM

@Ali:
    you are either illiterate or mentally deranged. Ask those like Burhan Wani who laid their lives for freedom from a tyrinical regime that has illegally occupied their land.Recommend

More in Life & Style