When Qandeel Baloch met Mufti Qavi: A guideline on how NOT to learn Islam

Published: June 22, 2016
The two have very different stories to tell. PHOTO: FACEBOOK

The two have very different stories to tell. PHOTO: FACEBOOK

Celebrities have been yearning to get closer to their religion lately with the help of popular religious scholars. While Hamza Ali Abbasi met with Junaid Jamshed to discuss Islam, social media sensation Qandeel Baloch turned to Mufti Abdul Qavi to learn more about her faith.

Qandeel and Mufti sahab’s interaction however, wreaked havoc across all kinds of social media platforms after photos of the two of them meeting in a hotel room went viral online, begging the question: Why would a religious man privately meet with Qandeel in a hotel room if a discussion on Islam was on the agenda?

Qandeel Baloch can be part of Ruet-e-Hilal Committee, says JUI-F senator

For future reference, here is what an appropriate meeting looks like:

Notice how everyone is wearing their OWN topis.

PHOTO: FACEBOOK

And here’s Qandeel with Mufti sahab:

Naturally, criticism of their inappropriate behaviour has spread like wild fire, and judging from interviews, the two have very different stories to tell.

Qandeel Baloch to appear in Bigg Boss 10?

Here’s a breakdown of their arguments:

The two met on Raja Matlub’s show Ajeeb Sa (a fitting name), where Mufti sahab promised to sight the new moon with her.

“She said ‘You will have to come to my place’ but I demanded I will come to meet her only on the condition that she will fast the whole month of Ramazan,” revealed Mufti sahab.

Upon his insistence, Qandeel organised a meeting with the scholar at a hotel. The Mufti insists that he was waiting for her in the hotel lobby, but when she didn’t show up on time, he went to his room. Qandeel then appeared at his door.

Here’s why Hamza Ali Abbasi thinks ‘maulvis are better than liberals’

While the Mufti claims he was fasting during their meeting, Qandeel insists, “He asked me if I am fasting or not, I clearly told him I’m not. He then asked me what I want to eat. I told him I need a cigarette so he gave me one. Then he shared everything I was having, the cigarette, my coke and tea. He said this will increase our love. What kind of love is he trying to increase?”

“I was sitting on another sofa, she came and sat beside me. She took my hat herself. I didn’t give it to her. She didn’t have a dupatta so she wanted to wear that hat… It is true that I sent her an invitation to meet but it was her decision to meet me in the room,” said Mufti Abdul Qavi.

Qandeel has also stated that not only did the Mufti act inappropriately, he proposed to her.

“He said he has released a fatwa related to nikkah and marriages whereby a man can do several nikkahs but just one marriage. He said he has done 17 nikkahs and will do the 18th with me. He will give me whatever I ask for in return of this act,” said Qandeel.

In a poor attempt to defend himself, the Mufti insisted, “I have never spoken about nikkah or marriage with Qandeel. Keeping in mind this sacred month, I would say Allah knows well, if either of us are lying. I met her considering Veena Malik’s example in mind, I believed she would change for the better after meeting me. That was my only reason to meet her.”

And we all remember how well his interaction with Veena Malik went (note: sarcasm).

Whoever’s story is true, it’s safe to say Mufti Abdul Qavi shouldn’t be your go-to guy for religious education.

Check out their full argument:

Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.

• Malik Saab
    Jun 22, 2016 - 3:14PM

We do lying, cheating and immoral activities on a daily basis. But what we demand that others should become Ideals of Morality. I have no idea why our character is like that. Also jumping to conclusions without listening to the full version of the story from both of them is preposterous.
    Now a days taking a selfie is too easy. So in the Pakistani society if anyone wants to ruin someone’s reputation then take a selfie and people will start Judging you from there. Recommend

• Saleem
    Jun 22, 2016 - 4:03PM

Come on! Spare them! It’s a romantic friendship gone sour. Happens all the time!Recommend

• Bilal Hussain
    Jun 22, 2016 - 4:10PM

pathetic..why channels show such shows. cheap publicityRecommend

• Speen
    Jun 22, 2016 - 4:34PM

Why we have and need Hilal committee, actually these kind of Mufti separate us from other Muslim world for having different day for Ramadhan and Eid. Today with advance technology, we do not need such committee. All Mulsim in the world have same day Ramadhan and Eid, because our Muftis are high in knowledge than others.Recommend

• zee
    Jun 22, 2016 - 10:12PM

I saw the video to see what Mufti said couldn’t find anything that says he was flirting or proposing her or eating or drinking anything with her. We are always thinking negative and are ready to exploit other people’s reputation, because we are owners of destructive thinking. I know nothing about Mufti and Qandeel but after seeing the video, I couldn’t find anything against Mufti. Therefore, we should not jump onto conclusion without any evidence. Leave this matter to Allah. Who knows maybe the person you’re annihilating might be a good person to Allah. Recommend

• Fizza
    Jun 23, 2016 - 9:04AM

Mufti Sahab seems innocent here. I think he was looking to gain some good publicity through making a known girl close to Islam but knew nothing of Qandeel. And yes he is a normal man of our society, so he must be enjoying himself a little, but Qandeel’s version of the story is totally absurd. Recommend

• Khalid
    Jun 23, 2016 - 10:25AM

I think both of them have got handsome money to do this drama.Recommend

• Jun 23, 2016 - 11:27AM

Simply another Cheap publicity Stunt by Qandeel Baloch to get fame. Recommend

• Kickass
    Jun 23, 2016 - 12:29PM

There is no difference between the two except one is female.Recommend

• jan
    Jun 23, 2016 - 1:01PM

Rs. 50 lak promised gift from PMLN on its way to Qandeel to play this stunt to malign PTI.Recommend

• Jun 23, 2016 - 2:42PM

• Ali
    Jun 23, 2016 - 6:07PM

There is nothing so special n this video. But the only thing these muftis r doing is talk against fahashi and drinks and ignore all other issues. So he seems to defy the only ethical values he sets for society. These muftis have nothing lef to talk aboutRecommend

• m bilal
    Jun 24, 2016 - 5:57AM

That’s not fairRecommend

• siesmann
    Jun 25, 2016 - 5:51AM

Mullahs are the missing link between animals and humans.The misogynists here are trying to prove Mullah as innocent.What was he doing in a hotel room alone with the girl?Recommend

• Anonpak
    Jun 25, 2016 - 2:46PM

@Malik Saab:
    The simplest answer to that conundrum is that we we bias ourself on our intentions while others on their actions. Recommend

• DR jee
    Jun 26, 2016 - 2:08AM

ALL HE WAS LOOKING FOR WAS A QUICKY . MOST OF THE SO CALL MULLAHS AND MUFTIS HAVE SIDEKICKS . DAM BLOOD SUCKERS . ALL WELL KNOW MULLAH AND MUFTI’S DRIVE HIGH END CARS AND TRAVEL IN FIRST CLASS BUT ALL THE DUMB FOLLOWERS DIE SICK AND POOR . WAKE UP . Recommend

• Abdullah
    Jul 16, 2016 - 9:04PM

With due respect,
    I think it’s mufti sab who got her killed by exposing her short comings to media. Would he treat his own mother, daughter, wife or sister same way?
    May Allah swt forgive her short comings. AmenRecommend

• Abdullah
    Jul 16, 2016 - 9:06PM

Instead he should have helped her correct her life. Recommend

• Jul 17, 2016 - 8:37PM

I think she was forced to do all the stuff to get fame. As a result she was strangled by her brother in Multan.Recommend

More in Film