Ecuador quake toll rises to 233 dead

"The official figure of the number killed has risen to 233," President Rafael Correa said on his Twitter account


Afp April 17, 2016
People watch a collapsed house in Guayaquil on April 17, 2016. At least 41 people have been killed by the powerful earthquake that struck western Ecuador on Saturday and the toll will likely rise further, the country's Vice President Jorge Glas said. PHOTO: AFP

QUITO: At least 233 people have been killed in the 7.8-magnitude earthquake that struck Ecuador's Pacific coast, President Rafael Correa said Sunday.

"The official figure of the number killed has risen to 233," Correa said on his Twitter account. Officials had previously put the toll of Saturday's quake at 77 dead and nearly 600 injured.



The quake, which struck at 2358 GMT Saturday about 170 kilometers northwest of Quito, lasted about a minute and was felt across Ecuador, northern Peru and southern Colombia.

Correa said Vice President Jorge Glas was on his way to Portoviejo, a city on the Pacific in an area heavily affected by the quake.

Our Publications

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ