LAHORE: Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML) leader Chaudhry Parvez Elahi said on Sunday the incumbent rulers had not effectively implemented the National Action Plan (NAP) against terrorism. The prevailing [security] situation in the Punjab is the result of rulers’ inefficiency, Elahi told lawyers at his residence.
He said that instead of working for people’s welfare, the rulers had been making money on the pretext of development projects. The former deputy prime minister supported army’s action against terrorists across the province. He said that eliminating social problems was essential to bring about peace.
“Our government had taken steps to ensure justice for all. We worked on the development of all Punjab areas without any discrimination,” he said. He alleged that the incumbent rulers were trying to make the army’s action controversial.
Elahi blamed last week’s suicide attack at Lahore’s Gulshan-i-Ravi Park on poor security arrangements. He said that following the 9/11 terrorist attacks in the US, his government had chalked out a Rs18 billion security plan for the province. He said the plan included precautionary measures and steps aimed at minimising the loss of lives in case of any untoward incident.
Elahi said his government had recruited wardens, established 500 patrolling posts, introduced Rescue 1122 and provided free medicines at emergency wards of public hospitals. He accused the current government of preventing the establishment of another 200 patrolling posts planned during his term.
Published in The Express Tribune, April 4th, 2016.