4 dead, 18 hurt in Saudi mosque bombing

4 dead, 18 hurt in Saudi mosque bombing: state TV


Afp January 29, 2016
A file photo of a bombing in Saudi Arabia. PHOTO: AFP

RIYADH: Four people were killed and 18 wounded on Friday when a suicide bomber attacked a mosque in Shia-populated eastern Saudi Arabia, state media said.

The Al-Ekhbariya news channel quoted an interior ministry spokesperson as giving the new toll, up from two dead and seven wounded earlier.

Residents said the mosque belonged to the minority Shia community.

Kuwait recalls envoy to Iran after attacks on Saudi missions

In a written statement, the ministry said security personnel prevented two bombers from getting inside the Al-Rida mosque in the Mahasen neighbourhood of Al-Ahsa city during the main weekly prayers.

"When security approached to intercept them, one of them responded by blowing himself up at the mosque entrance while an exchange of fire took place with another," it said.

Iran, Saudi should reduce tension: Iran deputy foreign minister

"He was injured and arrested. A suicide belt was found in his possession."

Since deadly attacks claimed by the Islamic State group last year against Shia mosques in the kingdom's east, security has been increased, including with the presence of community guards who inspect visitors to houses of worship.

COMMENTS (3)

MJ | 5 years ago | Reply The chickens have come home to roost.
Shahid Akram | 5 years ago | Reply I do not know which Islam they are following. Islam forbids killings of innocents.
VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read