National Assembly Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs Chairman Sardar Owais Ahmed Leghari on Sunday said that Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s recent visit to Pakistan was a good news for relations between the two countries. He said all stakeholders were on the same page vis a vis Indo-Pak relations. “The Indian government had earlier put forward conditions for bilateral talks. However, the hard work by our diplomats has paid off and India has withdrawn those conditions international pressure. It is now willing to move forward,” he said. “However, bilateral talks cannot succeed without a solid foundation of trust,” he said. “A framework for a comprehensive dialogue should be evolved on both sides of the border so that the conversation can move forward.” Responding to a question on India’s involvement in Balochistan, Leghari said Pakistan had not only objected to this, but had also presented evidence of it to the United Nations. “When we handed over the evidence, there was a realisation that Indian involvement should be checked,” he said. Leghari said the Indian government had been advised not to interfere in Pakistan internal matters. “India was told that peace is only possible through cooperation between Kabul, Delhi and Islamabad.”
Published in The Express Tribune, December 27th, 2015.