8 things I love about Christmas
The joy of listening to Christmas carols with a cup of cocoa is one that is matched by few other things in life.
Christmas is a time of giving and sharing; it is by far my most favourite time of the year. Since I have been I child, I anxiously await December 25 because there is so much that I love about this holiday. This Christmas, I have decided to share a list of things that I enjoy the most of this merry season.
- Listening to Christmas carols. The joy of listening to Christmas carols with a cup a cocoa is one that is matched by very few other things in life. Snuggling in a blanket with family and friends, and humming these tunes can cheer one up immensely. It encourages a feeling of closeness, and leads one to feelings of joy no matter how bad things in life may be.
- Fairy lights and pretty decorations. New lights and fresh decorations mixed with old ones give a feeling of warmth and happiness. When these are up, everyone knows that Christmas is near, and this is enough to brighten even the most gloomiest of moods. Decorating a tree is a pleasure worth experiencing in life. This joy is compounded when you know there is a gift waiting for you under the tree. (Why can't I be just a little self-indulgent at Christmas time?)
- Buying gifts for your loved ones. If anyone tries to convince you that 'retail therapy' does not work ,they are dead wrong - well, at least at Christmas time. Shopping for friends and family in this season, is extremely exciting. What is even more exhilarating is trying to keep their presents a secret from them.
- Keeping a secret stash of holiday sweets. Okay, it is time to come clean! Keeping a secret stash of all the traditional sweets made at home before Christmas time is one of the joys of the holiday season. Trust me, sneaking some of these while your mother maintains a fierce guard over them, is no mean feat. Maybe this is why pre-holiday treats taste much better than they do on Christmas day.
- Another reason to stay out late. Staying out late during Christmas time without any curfews is what I love about the season. Curfew-free masti is what Christmas is famous for. Attend all the bonfires and parties you like, mom won't shout at you during the most wonderful time of the year.
- Family get-togethers. This is the time when all your favourite and not so favourite chachas, mamas, nephew, nieces, and cousins gather at your place for a big feast. With all the traditional dishes and sweets, the house full of festivities, and we feel like one big happy family. Yes, there is the occasional family drama, but hey, that's what Christmas is all about.
- Vacation time. This is the time when you can go right up to your boss and boldly tell him about your plans for a Christmas holiday. You can then walk out of his office with a sense of great achievement, as you can never be refused a Christmas break!
- Attending the midnight prayer service. We save the best for last. Attending the midnight service in the chilly winter is the most blessed feeling in the world. Such is the sense of unison and security, that you cannot help but feel a warm glow. It is this time that truly makes one realize how thankful we should be to the Almighty for all the blessings he has showered on us.