Honey sesame chicken with boiled rice, better than any Chinese restaurant can offer!
This honey sesame chicken with boiled rice is so amazing, in part because it is relatively easy and quick to whip up in the kitchen for lunch or dinner. Perhaps one of the easiest main courses to cook up and easily concocted in less than 30 minutes. Just think, you can prepare and be eating this chicken in less time than you can order takeout from your favourite Chinese restaurant.
Chicken breast – 500 g (skin removed and cut into small pieces)
Olive Oil – ¼ cup
Milk – 2 tbsp
Egg white – 1
Flour – ½ cup
Salt – a pinch
Black pepper – ½ to 1 tsp
Spring Onion (for garnishing) – 1 to 2
Soy sauce – ½ cup
Honey – 2 to 4 tbsp
Water – 1 cup
Sesame seeds – 1 to 2 tbsp (toasted)
Crushed red pepper – ½ tsp (crushed)
Ginger powder – ¼ tsp
Corn flour or corn Starch – 2 tbsp
1. Cut up the chicken into bite-sized cubes and heat olive oil in a pan, keeping the heat to a medium flame.
2. While the pan heats, take a bowl and whisk together the milk and egg white.
3. Add flour to another bowl, seasoning with salt, pepper and whichever herb you prefer (oregano, rosemary, thyme).
4. Roll the chicken pieces in the egg wash then coat them liberally with the seasoned flour. Once every piece is properly coated, fry in the olive oil until cooked through.
5. Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl and whisk together until everything is well incorporated.
6. When the chicken is properly cooked, add the sauce to the pan, coating the chicken from each side.
7. Cook for three to five minutes until the sauce has the right consistency. Turn off heat and serve immediately over boiled rice.
8. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and chopped spring onion.
All photos: Mahrukh Hamayun
This post originally appeared here.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ