Majority of Muslims not for polygamy: Poll

Published: November 4, 2010

A recent poll by an interactive Muslim marriage website (SingleMuslim.com) revealed that a majority of the Muslims polled believed that they would personally not choose to practise polygamy given the choice.

This group comprised 33.8 per cent of those who responded. A second group, 32.7 per cent said that the Quran allows polygamy but only in exceptional circumstances (58 per cent of respondents to this question were female, 42 per cent male).

Only 26.2 per cent of those who responded believed that polygamy is legal within Islam and that all Muslims have the right to practise it if they choose to (73 per cent of respondents to this question were male, with just 27 per cent of female respondents selecting this view).]

The website SingleMuslim.com has more than 500,000 members seeking potential marriage partners.

“The survey results suggest that there are varying views within the Muslim community as to the extent to which polygamy is permissible,” said Adeem Younis, the director of the website. “I’m not an Islamic scholar, but when I read the Qur’an, I interpret that polygamy is permissible only in exceptional circumstances. The poll results show that the majority of Muslims share my view.”

on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

• Postmodernist
    Nov 4, 2010 - 8:25PM

no man in his senses can put up with more than one woman at a time ? and that too as a wife-my god, just impossible ;) Recommend

• Giri
    Nov 4, 2010 - 9:53PM

I am not a muslim but what i read is that a muslim man can marry one healthy and young woman and can marry remaining 3 women who are old and destitute, ones who need to be taken cared of. But moslty i found the rich Gulf shiekhs marrying minor girls from poorer countries like India for their sexual gratification.Recommend

• Hina
    Nov 5, 2010 - 5:11AM

lol That’s right @ Postmodernist Recommend

• Aneela Jameel
    Nov 5, 2010 - 8:31AM

I am sorry but I am not ready to buy the idea of “polygamy in Islam only in exceptional cases”. This idea is being propagated just to defend criticism from non-muslims. In my view, a male muslim can marry 4 women at a time irrespective of the age, health or wealth of those 4 women.

Any of you who still stand by the idea of “exceptional cases”, I would request you to elaborate on the term “exceptional cases”. Polygamy is permissible in Islam only to prevent males from indulging in extra-marital affairs nothing else PERIOD.Recommend

• Klues
    Nov 6, 2010 - 11:08PM

You can have 40 partners over your life and dump all but one but you have problem with my 4 wives and me supporting them till death. Yawn.

Muslims can have four wives and some muslims can do multiple marriages. This poll is not scientific. The title should say Majority of Muslims on SingleMuslim.com not for polygamy: PollRecommend

• Nov 10, 2010 - 5:09PM

Salaam, when I read Sura 4:3 it reads to me as there are only certain circumstances that a man can marry multiple wives, not just as he pleases.Recommend

• ali-ali
    Nov 13, 2010 - 11:17PM

Polygamy is the answer to your problem. rape, extra maritial affairs, mistresses, cheating, boyfriends, gays and lesbeins. are allowed, why isnt polygamy? get on with it. i have 2 wives and all 3 of us are happy. Recommend

• Pardeep Singh
    Nov 22, 2010 - 7:38PM

Lucky chaps! I wouldn’t mind a couple of extra wives just to make life a little more fun :-)Recommend

• Nov 23, 2010 - 5:11PM

I think one wife is enough for anyone!Recommend

• Pardeep Singh
    Nov 24, 2010 - 6:45AM

One man having 3 wives may be fun. What about 3 women having 1 husband? Did anyone bother asking the wives? My heart goes out to the silent women – be it polygamy or infidelity.Recommend

More in Life & Style