ISLAMABAD: Peshawar Commissioner Sahibzada Muhammad Anis, who suffered 100 per cent burns during a gas explosion in an Islamabad flat last week, succumbed to his injuries on early Tuesday morning, the Express News reported.
Two days ago, Anis was left critically injured in an explosion, which police sources attributed to a gas leak, in an apartment of the Park Towers complex in Sector F-10, Islamabad.
A 29-year-old woman, Asghar Nisa, was also in the apartment at the time and had sustained 45 per cent burn injuries.
Both patients had been admitted at the PIMS’s burn centre.
Pims Spokesperson Dr Ayesha Eshani had said Anis, a BS-20 grade officer, was in a critical condition as the burn injuries summed up to almost 100 per cent. So serious was his condition that he had to be shifted on to a ventilator.
The apartment in which the explosion had occurred is in the basement of Park Towers, which is located next to the main complex.
The door of the apartment was completely destroyed in the explosion but items such as a television set in the small living room and the bed in the bedroom appeared undamaged.
There were glass shards in a narrow lane next to the apartment from shattered windows. A security guard of the complex had said that the explosion had affected around 10 adjacent apartments.
According to sources, the commissioner was staying at the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa House along with his family and was in town to see-off his son, who left for the UK on October 25.
Meanwhile, SSP Operations Muhammad Rizwan had said the commissioner was at the apartment to visit a friend.
There were no fire extinguishers or fire exits in the basement of the building.