Punjab-Specific: Nawaz wants anti-terror force at earliest

Published: October 19, 2013

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. PHOTO: REUTERS/FILE

LAHORE:

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Friday issued directions for fast-tracking the plan to raise a special counter-terrorism force in Punjab to combat extortionists, terrorists and hit men.

The prime minister directed that the new force be raised under a command structure separate from that of the police force and be ‘professionally sound, competent and adequately paid’. According to sources, however, personnel for the new force would be recruited from the police.

“A new force is needed to deliver in the right direction and help eliminate extortionists and target killers,” the release quoted the prime minister as saying.

“The state has the right to take pre-emptive steps to protect its citizens,” he said, hoping that the new force would help rid the province of the menace.

At the same time, he urged law enforcement agencies to show ‘zero tolerance towards heinous crimes’. “There is no concession for the law enforcing agencies who fail to impart their duties and tackle criminal activities,” he stressed.

Published in The Express Tribune, October 19th, 2013.

• Ishrat salim
    Oct 19, 2013 - 3:26PM

Why Punjab specific only ? Is the federal govt only responsible for the safeguard of the lives of the citizens of Punjab only ?

• Salman Ahmed
    Oct 19, 2013 - 4:16PM

PMLN photocopying again.

This happens just one day after KPK announced its new anti-terrorist force.

• FaiselH
    Oct 19, 2013 - 5:37PM

In the Punjab, the PML (N) is in the sixth year ruling the largest populace of Pakistan.
    Where are their much touted Police Reforms ?
    Or have they discovered that the Punjab Police is beyond redemption ?
    Or reforming them will undermine their political clout ?
    Hence the need for another force ?

• waqas
    Oct 19, 2013 - 9:05PM

nawaz shrif sahab pakistan ko behtar bnanay main bohot lagan say kaam kar rahay hain Allah in ko kamyabi ata farmay .main bi punjab fors main hisa laina chahta houn pakistan ka naam roshan karu ga.

• Sam
    Oct 20, 2013 - 2:49AM

nothing is going to change as long as police or whatever force you might say it gets orders from politicians and is not independent in its activities and is supported by laws in case they are attacked. Police moral is down because they are not played well and beyond that there lives are not secure from terrorists, mafias and landlords.

• Oct 20, 2013 - 5:01PM

o no

• M. A. Changezi
    Oct 21, 2013 - 8:32AM

Punjab specific ATF. No wonder why people in Balochistan get irritated.

• Noman javid
    Oct 21, 2013 - 9:12PM

its very good desion.

• its good decision

• Usman Soomro
    Oct 22, 2013 - 12:23AM

All the civl police/defence forces or new anti terror force will not be succeeded to stop terrorism when the causes/reasons of terrorism shall not be solved.If 1xterrorist is arrested next day the ration is increasing.The main reasons of terrorism is in-justice,poverty , corruption and high % of un-educated perons in our society.

• qasim iqbal
    Oct 23, 2013 - 5:07PM

sir i want to join punjab anti terorist force .. what is the producer and how and when to applyRecommend

• fahid imtiaz
    Oct 30, 2013 - 7:26PM

I want to join this police 03316100204

• fahid imtiaz
    Oct 30, 2013 - 7:28PM

• sikandar hussain
    Nov 1, 2013 - 8:42PM

@how can apply in this force please tell method:
    its a good decision by prime minister so plz tell me how can we will join the anti terror force in lahore.Recommend

• sikandar hussain
    Nov 1, 2013 - 8:44PM

this good decision by govt of punjab i am so happy plz give the chance for youngster.Recommend

• sohail qaisar
    Nov 2, 2013 - 2:43PM

sir i am a solder in pak army as a oprater communication unit.i belong to corps of engineers.i want to join punjab anit terrarist force.please give me guidness.can i join this force?

• Aqeel Ahmad
    Nov 2, 2013 - 8:30PM

Assalam o alaikum! Sir! I want to join the special counter anti terrorism force please sir give me a chance I will approve myself. 03156751782

• Ahsan hameed
    Nov 2, 2013 - 10:07PM

Assalam o alaikum! Sir! I want to join the special force ..+923455114360

• zeeshan
    Nov 4, 2013 - 6:35PM

sir i want to join this force plz give me a chance

• Abdul latif sangi
    Nov 5, 2013 - 11:21PM

Slam dear sir i m hopfull that you will cal me for thir forse. Bcoz my family is a lot of praying for my job

• Nov 5, 2013 - 11:38PM

Dear sir, asslamo alaikom i m very hopefull that you will cal me for this forse. Becouse my family is praying from a lot of time for my job. So, plz sir cal me for special anty terorist force

• Nov 23, 2013 - 9:24PM