Burger King finally comes to Pakistan

Published: July 16, 2013

BK’s first outlet will be opened in Karachi.

KARACHI:

As anticipated for long, Burger King is finally coming to Pakistan, most likely in mid-2014, as MCR Pakistan, the franchisee of Pizza Hut in Pakistan, has entered into a master franchise agreement with Burger King Worldwide Inc, The Express Tribune has learnt.

While BK and MCR didn’t disclose the details of the agreement, sources familiar with the matter said that the bidding took place in Dubai a few weeks ago. Three parties, including a Dubai-based investor, participated in the bidding, which went in favour of the MCR Group.

There is not much skilled staff in the market, which may require engaging foreign trainers and the company hasn’t yet identified locations. According to the Dawn ad, BK’s first outlet will be opened in Karachi.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 16th, 2013.

Like Business on Facebook, follow @TribuneBiz on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.

on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

• SM
    Jul 16, 2013 - 2:00AM

….and Finally!

yahoo.

• Asad Malik
    Jul 16, 2013 - 6:33AM

Hardees is better than BK

• Khan
    Jul 16, 2013 - 8:42AM

This was expected for some time. MCR already runs a Burger King franchise in Kabul for the US forces.Recommend

• Whopper
    Jul 16, 2013 - 9:26AM

A big whopper meal with upsized fries and drink please. And replace the fries with onion rings.

• The Khan-Waterloo,Ontario
    Jul 16, 2013 - 10:11AM

Fat Burger is better than BK

• haroon
    Jul 16, 2013 - 11:22AM

I don’t know how this becomes a news item for ET. I think ET’s readership is limited to the elite of our society.

• Gemini
    Jul 16, 2013 - 11:26AM

I would rather prefer old school bun kabab and desi food. Hate all the the burgers from KFC, McDonalds and other fast food franchises.

• Halaal
    Jul 16, 2013 - 11:28AM

I hope they serve halal hand slaughtered meat

• Namaloom Afraad
    Jul 16, 2013 - 11:36AM

Hardees wins hands down

• Usman786
    Jul 16, 2013 - 11:45AM

Albaik, KSA is much better than any

• Ali
    Jul 16, 2013 - 11:52AM

Are you kidding me, what kind of skilled staff do you need for running a Food business franchise, as you mentioned it is owned by Pizza Hut so I’m sure they can deliver. Pakistan is home to one of the best pharma’s and IT companies including Google, IBM and others.

• Umer
    Jul 16, 2013 - 12:28PM

if as a nation we needed more calories!

• Aiman Kay
    Jul 16, 2013 - 12:33PM

Pakistanis abroad always look for desi food be it Chiken Tikka, Dahi Baday Chaat or Haleem. I just can’t understand why Pakistanis with so much choice of great food can like a bland burger. Yuck. Even a Bengali ka Burger can easily beat any McDonalds or BK hands down.

• Baba Ji
    Jul 16, 2013 - 12:54PM

Double Whopper … yay !!!

• Hasan
    Jul 16, 2013 - 12:54PM

@Aiman Kay:
    Agreed. Such international franchises only offer frozen meat drenched in fats and sauces. I would prefer local food over it anyday.Recommend

• bilal
    Jul 16, 2013 - 1:05PM

super excited

• Khan
    Jul 16, 2013 - 1:12PM

@Aiman Kay:
    I honestly don’t know why anyone will want their genetically modified, industrially bred meat infused with preservatives and frozen for mass consumption when there are endless options for good local food in Pakistan.Recommend

• Fudge
    Jul 16, 2013 - 1:28PM

@Aiman Kay:
    Don’t generalize. Many Pakistanis love these burgers in or outside Pakistan, irrespective.

• Fudge
    Jul 16, 2013 - 1:48PM

@Khan:
    Your logic probably only applies in developed countries. Do you have any idea what people get from local shops? And the level of hygiene they maintain? And you worry about “genetically modified meat”?! Wishful thinking. I would still have their (BK et cetera’s) chicken then what sells on the street (if I could, of course).

• INd
    Jul 16, 2013 - 2:00PM

@Aiman Kay
    Though Indian I totally agree with u.Our cusine is full of variety & these fast foods r awefull.Recommend

• Ali S
    Jul 16, 2013 - 2:11PM

It will probably open in a middle-class neighbourhood like Gulshan or more likely North Nazimabad (seems like it’s the place for most international fast food chains to debut in Karachi). Good enough for me, but the ‘burgers’ will whine about having to leave their cocoons of DHA and Clifton – God forbid they might even actually see some of the ‘real’ Karachi on their way to a fattening overpriced burger.Recommend

• old is gold
    Jul 16, 2013 - 2:41PM

Mr Burger is way better than Burger King

• doom
    Jul 16, 2013 - 3:41PM

@Halaal:
    Hand-slaughtered? I’m afraid mass-production does not permit such things. The animals go through giant nightmarish machines in the developed world and then these chains in Pakistan proudly tell you all their ingredients are imported as if that’s a good thing.

Furthermore, you should consider yourself lucky if what you get is meat at all when it is imported, and not mostly “pink slime beef product”.

• choochoo
    Jul 16, 2013 - 3:43PM

BK will be putting up hamburgers on their menu too – for those looking for some additional “variety”

• Kiran
    Jul 16, 2013 - 5:08PM

Ammi jan ka roti with daal and lots of Love is the best food :)

• Khawar
    Jul 16, 2013 - 5:43PM

More cholestrol and saturated fat in Pakistan.

• Prabhjyot Singh Madan
    Jul 16, 2013 - 6:03PM

I remember the time when I was a kid in 1994 and McDonald’s came to India. I live in Calcutta and I passed my matric exam and Calcutta was deprived of it.I did my mba and holla, mcchicken has come to Calcutta.it is a personal preference of all people what they want to eat.I saw a burger king in amritsar too a few years back btw. Rab rakha

• Shah of Blah
    Jul 16, 2013 - 6:32PM

Ah yes, time for the bourgeoisie to tuck in and become obese like their Western brethren. Consume or die!

• Anounymous
    Jul 16, 2013 - 6:51PM

Will be loss deal in longrun in terms earnings

• Jul 16, 2013 - 7:09PM

How one can compare it with Local “Bun Kabab”?
    Though Bun Kabab might suit oneself but hygiene is the very thing most of the people look. I would prefer BK over Bun Kabab.

• Pakistani Ostrich
    Jul 16, 2013 - 7:32PM

Burger King finally comes to Pakistan”
    ..I though the news was about Imran khan coming back to pakistan from UK. :)

• @Prabjyot Singh Madan
    Jul 16, 2013 - 8:14PM

There are no Burger King franchises in India.

Indian McDonald’s does not even serve beef. I think the ban on beef (or pork) is an insult to personal choice and liberty, and that and UPA wrangling has prevented India from getting BK for a while now.

For those whining, yeah it’s junk food. But when you live in Pakistan, junk food is sort of a novelty considering you’re eating Desi food at home everyday. And man oh man. Whoppers are heaven. This comes from someone who gyms 6 days a week now MashAllah and hates carbs generally.

• @Anounymous
    Jul 16, 2013 - 8:19PM

Do I smell an Indian troll?

No, not really. KFC and McDonald’s are doing great business across Pakistan. They have even expanded to smaller cities, and even roadside stations on major highways. There was even a mobile KFC in Bahria Town.

So I’m pretty sure BK will do good business. I don’t understand why ET would publish a petty comment. The point we should be asking is, will this affect the health of the nation? Seeing as onky a small portion of the population can afford such food, for the most part the answer is “No”

• Saad
    Jul 16, 2013 - 8:40PM

@Pakistani Ostrich:
    Hahahahaha, right on !

• Hamza
    Jul 17, 2013 - 12:15AM

@Aiman Kay:
    Agree on that, but listen, there is no limit for restaurants… i don’t know cuz i am an A-level student, but for office workers, the employees buy food from one restaurant and then the next eat from another, there is no limit….. well not in Pakistan..

People in the west eat from these restaurant on daily basis, they don’t cook food in their home…

the need for fast food restaurant won’t effect these local stuff, it is just the diversity of taste that is there in Pakistani’s which attracts these foreign chains…

@Pakistani Ostrich: OMG dude i think i laughed too hard on this LOL!!hahahaha

• Raj Kafir
    Jul 17, 2013 - 12:30AM

Are not Pakistanis hate USA and US products?

• Muziqmonk
    Jul 17, 2013 - 1:06AM

Great news ! More obesity, heart disease, diabetes and hypertension in Pakistan.

• mota
    Jul 17, 2013 - 3:26AM

And just when I joined the gym..burger king lands in pakistan

• Khan
    Jul 17, 2013 - 10:04AM

@Fudge:
    It applies to all countries regardless. Our local produce is more nutritious than their corporatized meat industry any day. I guess you haven’t seen “Food Inc.” yet. It would be an eye opener for you my friend, must watch it.

• Sexton Blake
    Jul 17, 2013 - 11:00AM

@mota:
    Don’t worry. I bought a meal at Burger King ten years ago, and I am still alive.

• Fudge
    Jul 17, 2013 - 11:57AM

@Khan:
    1st world problems my friend. We are not there yet to worry about genetically modified meat when we don’t even get hygienic meat. :).

• Aam Pakistani
    Jul 17, 2013 - 12:04PM

Finally! it is high time…. Burger King is definitely the king of BURGERz in the world!!

i have tried literally all the burger brands in UAE, and the bestest was this sexy Burger King!!! this news has made my day :D

• anybodyagree
    Jul 17, 2013 - 1:27PM

Burger king for burger peoples????

• Syed Azeem
    Jul 17, 2013 - 2:30PM

I warn my countrymen this is the worst you will lay your hands on for American fast food

Hardees, Mc Donalds, KFC though not all healthy but still are way better of than this

• Mohammad Ali Siddiqui
    Jul 17, 2013 - 6:42PM

I am least bothered about it as I am not used to eat the tasteless junk food.

For me Pakistani dishes are more important as each Pakistani dish has its own taste in it.

After eating the junk food either in afternoon or in evening, I do not feel that I have taken lunch or dinner.

• Imran Cheema
    Jul 17, 2013 - 8:04PM

What’s all the fuss about? As these junk food companies losing their revenue in the west because people are more conscious about their diet and turning towards healthy fresh food, these companies are desperately looking for new marketes.

• MJ
    Jul 17, 2013 - 8:30PM

People who are commenting that desi food is better than American should realize that…. as long as Pakistanis will continue with their inferiority complex and consider any foreign brand of item superior, businesses will continue opening these franchises in Pakistan. When I visit Karachi from US my jaw drops seeing the long lines at Pizza Hut and McDonald’s etc. These are the places that are looked down up on by the educated in the West as they serve high calorie unhealthy food or are used as last resort when they are in a hurry. Nobody in US (health conscious or with good education) makes plans to go out to Pizza Hut or other fast food joints weeks in advance, taking family and friends, dressed in their best. People in Pakistan use these fast food joints to feel good about themselves and to portray to the others that they have ‘arrived’ and are living the dream. In reality they are paying top $$ to buy unhealthy food and line up the pockets of these major corporations who sell genetically modified food and have no regards for the consumer’s health.

• Muziq
    Jul 17, 2013 - 10:34PM

See a lot of Hardees fans here. Wonder if they ever open in Pakistan, what would they call their “six dollar burger”….”Cheso rupee burger” ?

• Navaid
    Jul 17, 2013 - 11:17PM

The title of this article completely misled me. I thought “Burger King” meant Imran Khan. WOW, newspapers have to be careful going forward.

• Navaid
    Jul 17, 2013 - 11:18PM

@Pakistani Ostrich:
    LOL, that was exactly my comment too.

• Asif
    Jul 18, 2013 - 12:15AM

Hardees is already in Pakistan and there is one right next to my office in Lahore. So is Fat Burger which is pretty tasteless to be honest…

Here are some of the upcoming fast food franchises

1-Taco Bell (It was opened way back in Khi but got closed and now reopening again)
    2-iHop
    3-Wendys
    4-Arbys
    5-Long John Silvers
    7-Krispy Kreme Donuts

Also Chillis and Applebees also coming to pakistan in near future…Recommend

• Khan
    Jul 18, 2013 - 2:27AM

@Fudge:
    The way we cook meat here the germs have no chance. Anyway, franchises are not here to feed the poor of 3rd world countries, they just want our money. Lets not be too eager to hand it over ;)

• Jap
    Jul 18, 2013 - 8:47AM

@Asif:
    Thats quite an impressive list buddy, but don’t hold your breath. And Taco Bell never opened any franchise in Karachi, the one that opened back in 1998 was ‘Taco Maker’.

• aisha
    Jul 21, 2013 - 11:54AM

burger king is awesome…but 2014? Till then enjoy burger shack oh khayaban e seher !! They are awesomeRecommend

• Jul 21, 2013 - 1:12PM

So basically, Burger King would be a DoA brand. We’ve all seen how bad Pizza Hut is now.

• Pak-American
    Jul 21, 2013 - 3:19PM

@MJ

People in Karachi love fast food chains not because they want to show off,but because they find them delicious. Furthermore, I am 99.9% sure that nobody pre-plans more than 2 days. So, if u know so much about pre-planning, then you should’ve pre-planned this comment. and most of Pakistan prefers fast food over this desi food all of you keep talking about..Recommend

• ay
    Jul 21, 2013 - 3:37PM

Wow what a great news for calories collectors! probably slow poisoning

• Shaikh
    Jul 21, 2013 - 3:41PM

LoL ppl here are telling more about there personal capacity rather than commenting on BK , kfc , mcdonalds and hardeees ARE crap infront of BK , taste is BK , its not about affording or not , its about a new and goood thing coming if they are selling it halal , which for many here doesnt sound halal , but overall gulf BK is thr even in Saudi since a long long time , seriously laughing on comparison bw bun kebab and BK , dude if u like it have it , but hw can u compare them lmao! BK is a qualityy product!

• Ananymous
    Jul 22, 2013 - 9:16AM

BK is opening in Pakistan …. but the facts about bidding are incorrect !

• John
    Jul 22, 2013 - 2:01PM

@aisha:
    No way, bruger inc. on badr commercial is the best in karachi right now.

• Max
    Jul 23, 2013 - 12:00PM

Anyone remember that place called “King Burger” in bahadurabad back in the 80s, it closed in the early 90s. It had the best burgers before Mr. Burger came to town. Memories…

• shaikh
    Aug 11, 2013 - 5:20PM

Joke of the decade ! @Asad Malik:

• Sep 12, 2013 - 12:50PM

One political party supporters will enjoy a lot. Actually they belong to burger families lolx

More in Business