Family of five found dead in DHA, Karachi

Published: April 30, 2013

The weapon allegedly used in the murder has been seized by the police and will be used to match fingerprints. GRAPHIC: MANAHYL KHAN

KARACHI: Five family members were found dead in a residence in the upscale area of Defence on Tuesday morning, reported Express News.

The cook and maid of the house came in to work as usual in the morning and found the residence locked from inside. They informed the neighbours, who then called the police.

According to the information given to the police by neighbours, the incident took place at 6:06am though none of them were sure which house the sound of bullets was coming from at the time.

SP Sarfaraz Nawaz, who was present at the scene, said that bullet marks indicated a murder and suicide case.

According to the official, the head of the family, Jawad Durrani first killed his children and wife and proceeded to commit suicide by shooting himself.

Police officials said the dead included Jawad Durrani, who was a finance officer at Sanghar sugar mills,  his wife Wajiha, thirteen-year-old son Rehan, nine-year-old daughter Rameen and a one-year-old child named Arish.

The bodies of the deceased were shifted to Jinnah Hospital.

A police official said that Jawad Durrani sent out “disturbing emails” to his friends before the incident, early in the morning.

The police also found CCTV cameras installed in the house and have seized all footage.

• holyme
    Apr 30, 2013 - 1:10PM

Terrible loss but is there any relation to Tehmina Durrani?

• RKM
    Apr 30, 2013 - 1:41PM

This is scary.

• arman khan
    Apr 30, 2013 - 2:01PM

I think his son name was rayyan not rehan.

• Imran Nazimabadi
    Apr 30, 2013 - 2:13PM

Could be an armed burgalry gone wrong..

p.s. @holyme Duh! Are all Durranis related to Tehmina Durrani?

• Max
    Apr 30, 2013 - 2:17PM

According to some reports he was the CFO of Sanghar Sugar Mills. Wonder what drove him to such madness. Really sad.Recommend

• nadeem
    Apr 30, 2013 - 2:44PM

The servants (cook, maasi, chowkidar, etc.) are now in for the 3rd degree with Police ‘tafteesh’.

• Mohammad Ali Siddiqui
    Apr 30, 2013 - 2:59PM

It needs through and microscopic investigations as how and why the entire family living in the house was killed?

What were the motives? Was head of the family under pressure from some one? Or was there any financial dispute with outsiders.

There are hundreds of questions coming in my mind, but cannot write more what I have written.

• Naveed Razzaq
    Apr 30, 2013 - 3:14PM

Brutal killing…did not spare one year old child even! How long will my land witness all such lawlessness?

• Syed
    Apr 30, 2013 - 3:58PM

Oh, God where we head to ? “May Allah S.W.T forgive their sins ” and give peace to their souls.

• Shocked
    Apr 30, 2013 - 4:08PM

Who is the owner of the mill? Maybe the investigation should start from there.

• Jawwad
    Apr 30, 2013 - 5:11PM

alas what a terrible loss, such a genius person full of life he was one of very few people I met in my life and got inspired ahh My Allah swat rest his and family souls in peace. dont have words mind is like blank now.
    prays are with all.

• hajirah
    Apr 30, 2013 - 5:25PM

This indeed very sad! We should have strong faith in Allah!! Everyday, millions of Pakistan who cannot afford a standard living go and work hard to meet their basic needs!

• Danish Xuberi
    Apr 30, 2013 - 6:39PM

terrible…when men loose their brains they do loose their brains….being suicidal is a psychological ailment…but one should not be assumptive as this could also be a case of murder. But, killing the family and then putting the gun to head….it has happened in the past too.

• Sal
    Apr 30, 2013 - 8:20PM

As a family friend, I can’t begin to fathom what may have caused Jawad uncle to act in such a disturbing manner. They seemed like a very happy and peaceful family.

Praying for them.

• v
    Apr 30, 2013 - 8:34PM

@Danish Xuberi: Terrible, your spelling is terrible. You need to replace every ‘loose’ with ‘Lose’

• Talha
    Apr 30, 2013 - 8:49PM

The victim family were very close family friends of ours. There is no way this can be a suicidal murder. The family was extremely well-off and happy. I suggest the officials reconsider their conclusions behind the murder case.

• Adnan
    Apr 30, 2013 - 9:02PM

@Max:
    Yes he was CFO of Sanghar Sugar Mills.

• Anon
    Apr 30, 2013 - 9:02PM

The son was Rayyan Durrani, not Rehan.

• Apr 30, 2013 - 9:16PM

Thirteen year old son, Rayyan
    Nine year old daughter, Raneem
    One year old son, Aariz.
    Wife: Wajeeha
    Husband: Jawad
    May Allah grant my cousins the highest rank in heaven.
    Ameen.

• jawad
    Apr 30, 2013 - 10:47PM

Sir AHMED Macdi, please accept my heartiest condolence what I know about JD (Jawad durrani) he was such a high morale person, last Thursday we had a lunch together he was very happy and emotionally balanced and satisfied, I simply cant believe it I firmly urge you and all friends to go for forensic investigation.
    JD u will remain all life with us.

• jawad
    Apr 30, 2013 - 10:50PM

@Mohammad Ali Siddiqui: thanks for shedding light over JD murder, i know him and I am sure about him he was honorable straight forward but loving human being, there is some thing weird in this story.

• Arbaz
    Apr 30, 2013 - 11:08PM

I am 100% sure this is not a suicide, i knew Jawad bhai… the most cool and calm person i know, he had a loving family, financially sound, why would he kill his family? Lovely kids, can’t stop my tears, i smell conspiracy…. some thing was wrong some where, they were suppose to fly out to dubai the day they were murdered. I just cannot believe this was a suicide…. some thing is fishy

Arbaz

• farrukh
    May 1, 2013 - 12:58AM

I had known Jawad rather JD as we use to call him for the last 23 years. We spent some memorable times together. He was a very rationale and sensible person and a mentor for alot of our friends, This thing very difficult for the people to comprehend who knew him well. May Allah forgive their sins and give peace to their souls.

• unknown
    May 1, 2013 - 1:54AM

we all are so shocked

• Shan Haider
    May 1, 2013 - 1:56PM

I had known JD all my working life in Karachi. One of the most humble, down to earth and tremendously helpful friend – still getting to terms with the shocking news. No way this person could do such a thing. Prayers for the deceased and the family members.

• Dis
    May 1, 2013 - 4:59PM

R.I.P Rayaan and his family.. You will be missed :/

• Suman
    May 1, 2013 - 8:29PM

@arman khan: yeah it was Rayyan, he was my classmate.

• Arsalan
    May 2, 2013 - 12:04PM

Raayan was a very good friend of mine. We were best friends when v were 6 or 7. I cannot believe that Jawad uncle could’ve killed everybody. He was so good with everyone. I dont believe that Jawad uncle could’ve killed everybody :’(

• Owais
    May 2, 2013 - 3:18PM

May ALLAH SWT forgive their sins and give them paradise …Ameen

• Syed Moazzam
    May 20, 2013 - 1:30AM

It’s a terrible news for me I am a very old friend of Jawad we did HSC and SSC together, I cannot believe that this terrible thing has happened.