Artist disappointed at being forgotten by Hum TV awards

Published: March 13, 2013

Comedian-turned-singer Ali Gul Pir posted an angry message on his Facebook page on Tuesday night: “Went to Hum TV Awards because I was nominated but they skipped my category. Lol, I guess new comers are not important.”

When we contacted Pir, he clarified that he was referring to the last minute omission of the category Best Newcomer in Music category in which he was nominated. “I was surprised,” he said. “I was unwell that day, but I arrived at the awards because I had been invited and my attendance was confirmed on the phone several times.” He also said that he had been looking forward to the award. “The love I have gotten from all the people who have appreciated my work has been the biggest reward I could ever imagine. This nomination meant that I was being acknowledged by Hum TV; it would have been great to be appreciated by the seniors of entertainment industry as well.”

Defending Hum TV’s stance, GM publications and Public Relations of Hum Group, Shanaz Ramzi, termed the slip-up as the ‘management’s call’. “It was the decision of the management — some of the awards were not given and these particular awards include Excellence in Fashion, Excellence in TV, Best Band and Best New Sensation in Music,” said Ramzi, without citing any reason for the omission.

Published in The Express Tribune, March 14th, 2013.

Like Life & Style on Facebook for the latest in fashion, gossip and entertainment.

• Shamy
    Mar 13, 2013 - 10:54PM

It is highly insulting, heart breaking and embarrassing for a nominee to go through this. People need to understand the meaning of an award and when someone is nominated, it is an amazing feeling. Its very easy to say the slip was because of a management decision. This is poor decision making by the management of Hum TV if they couldn’t decide on which categories to eliminate before inviting nominees.

• Saher
    Mar 14, 2013 - 1:22AM

oh my god, get a life you narcissist!

• Usman Riaz
    Mar 14, 2013 - 2:27PM

If it makes him feel any better. I was nominated for this as well. I was completely ignored from the moment I received my nomination. Emailing about rehearsals and confirming my slot etc. I left for SXSW shortly after I got no response and the awards were delayed.

• Dildar Pakistan
    Mar 14, 2013 - 7:37PM

It is like everything else in Pakistan. They start something because other countries are doing it and then they dont know how to execute it. So rude, I wonder who is in managment of Hum TV just the people with money without education?
    Usman and Ali dont worry, your fans love and respect you.
    Hum TV management needs to go back to school and learn how the give
    respect and what is the meaning of award not to mention how it should be done.

• Azra
    Mar 14, 2013 - 9:33PM

Super disappointed in HumTV! I don’t find anything narcissistic about nominees being upset about this despicable incident. It’s not about the award. It’s about the recognition of their hard work and dedication. It’s high time people start treating others the way they want to be treated themselves.

• Jarar
    Mar 15, 2013 - 2:30AM

I am in the same boat as my peers Ali and Usman Riaz. We will all be issuing a joint response to the press within a few days.

More in Life & Style