Balochistan unrest: Security situation not as bad as painted, says cabinet

Published: November 12, 2012

IG FC says giving more powers to FC reduced in Quetta by 60 per cent.

QUETTA: 

In the wake of Balochistan Chief Minister Nawab Aslam Raisani receiving flak since the apex court’s interim order pinning blame for the province’s crises on the provincial administration, concerted efforts are being made to establish authority.

A high-level provincial cabinet meeting was held on Sunday to discuss the law and order situation on the eve of Muharram.

Attendees included some cabinet ministers, the Frontier Corps inspector general and senior police and administration officials.

Home Secretary Akbar Hussain Durrani briefed the participants about the security plan for the holy month.

Determined to deflect mounting criticism, the meeting participants declared that there were no differences among people on an ethnic, linguistic and sectarian basis and it was criminal gangs which were involved in disrupting law and order in the province.

These criminal gangs are involved in targeted killings, kidnapping for ransom, acts of terrorism and subversion and other crimes against humanity and the state, they added.

The meeting also observed that the law and order situation in Balochistan was better in comparison to other provinces and that “there should be no cause of concern” on this issue.

“There were more targeted killings, bomb blasts, acts of subversion, kidnapping for ransom and other heinous crime in other provinces,” according to an official statement.

The participants also censured elements who they said exaggerated the incidents of violence in Balochistan in order to defend their vested interests.

Without naming anyone, the official statement declared categorically that such allegations would not be permitted to create a constitutional crisis in Balochistan using a ‘clumsy pretext’.

Raisani, in turn, defended handing over police powers to the FC, saying that this did not mean that the police force had failed.

He said that the FC will supplement police efforts in curbing crime and they are complimentary forces.

He said if anyone accuses him as chief minister of being involved in any offence, law enforcers should investigate and take action if he was found guilty.

Security measures

During the meeting, the government decided to impose an immediate ban on the display of weapons in Quetta and on pillion riding in order to keep a check on target killing.

It has also declared eight districts as ‘ultra sensitive’ during Muharram, according to an official announcement.

The sensitive districts were identified as Khuzdar, Zhob, Loralai, Naseerabad, Sibi, Kachhi, Jaffarabad and Quetta where regular Muharram processions are taken out.

The IG FC informed the meeting that crime had been reduced in Quetta by 60 per cent by giving more powers to FC in the provincial capital.

It was announced in the meeting that 4,000 additional policemen, 25 FC platoons and 200 levies personnel will be deployed in Quetta during Muharram.

Published in The Express Tribune, November 12th, 2012.

Reader Comments (9)

  • Hafeez
    Nov 12, 2012 - 9:58AM

    I don’t know how long this Ostrich attitude will stay.

    Recommend

  • A J Khan
    Nov 12, 2012 - 11:45AM

    I donot like you for the way you took snubbing from the court. If you were a General material, your response could have been strong and meaningful.

    Recommend

  • ishrat salim
    Nov 12, 2012 - 3:36PM

    If the govt was serious in its effort, CM shud be sitting & spending more time in his province than being in Islamabad.It was after SC pointed out this that CM spends some time in Baluchistan…reading from above news….only some cabinet ministers attended the meeting, why not all of them ?..are they not part of the govt of Baluchistan ? which shows their seriousness of the issue….for the past few days & even today ” Hazaras ” are being targeted, are these senseless killings not on ethnic lines ?

    Recommend

  • Jat
    Nov 12, 2012 - 5:55PM

    I guess he meant the painting is not as bad as the real security situation.

    Recommend

  • Gul
    Nov 12, 2012 - 7:23PM

    Unfortunately what is happening in Balochistan is exactly the contrary. The govt lacks the courage to admit its extremely poor performance in maintaining its rit and law & order. Balochistan is in chaos in fact.

    It says that situation is better than other provinces of Pakistan. I am very much amazed how poorly these statements have been drafted for this press note. Dear currupt leaders, Balochistan has a population of approx 10 million which is comparably very low than other provinces. However by your saying that if 100 persons a month are being killed in Balochistan compared to 125 in Sindh then yes it is less.

    Wake up plz. You can continue your curruption if You let Pakistan survive!!!!!

    Recommend

  • saeed
    Nov 12, 2012 - 8:00PM

    Yes great acheivment because Karachi has surpassed Balochistan,lol..

    Recommend

  • Jameel ur Rasheed
    Nov 12, 2012 - 9:35PM

    Ashura Jaloos should be curtailed. It is not necessary to march through the entire city and keep increasing the route length every year. Something terrible like what happened in 2004 is going to happen in Quetta, I can feel that!

    Recommend

  • syed baqar ahsan
    Nov 13, 2012 - 9:27AM

    We are too poor to ensure strict ed checks and discipline on all over boarders i e east,west,north,south and airports so with this mass/attitude in our para military/custom department improvement in law and order is no where close or insight.

    Recommend

  • S K Afridi
    Nov 13, 2012 - 3:27PM

    Law and order situation in Baluchistan is definitely much better as compared to Karachi but not as satisfactory as it should be.

    Recommend

More in Balochistan