While hearing the Balochistan missing persons case, the Supreme Court summoned the interior and defence secretaries and Frontier Corps commander Major General Obaidullah Khattak along with other stakeholders to appear before a three-judge bench on Wednesday.
Chief Justice Ifthikar Muhammad Chaudhry ordered the registrar to cancel all other cases for Wednesday to hear the Balochistan case at length. “Our office has prepared a list of 138 missing/abducted persons of Balochistan and we will take up each case one by one on Wednesday,” the chief justice said.
At Tuesday’s hearing, the chief justice expressed concern over the sluggish progress towards the recovery of missing persons. The family members of the missing people were also present in the court. Farzan Bibi told the court that her brother Zakir was yet to be recovered. The court asked the provincial authorities to take action for the recovery of Zakir in light of the evidence presented.
Balochistan Advocate General Amanullah Kinrani submitted before the bench that the court may exonerate the civil administration and should question the military establishment for the increased incidents of targeted killings and abduction as well as for the recovery of missing persons. “We are not allowed in their (military’s) cantonment areas”, he said, “How can we ask them for the abducted people? The court should make them directly responsible for their actions,” he said.
Kinrani told the court that in the province almost all heads of intelligence agencies had been replaced.
Published in The Express Tribune, June 20th, 2012.
More in BalochistanLaw and order: Information minister warns of bad days ahead