The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) on Friday recorded the statement of former water and power minister Raja Pervez Ashraf in the Rental Power Projects (RPPs) case.
NAB summoned Ashraf last week but could not record his statement due to the absence of investigators. He eventually appeared before the investigation team on Friday and was questioned for more than three hours, according to a statement.
The bureau, under the direction of the Supreme Court, is proceeding against the accused in the RPPs case. On Friday, NAB’s investigation team summoned more than six accused persons who were allegedly involved in the scam.
NAB is said to have recovered Rs600 million in the form of pay orders and Rs225 million in post paid cheques. CEOs of some of the projects appeared before the investigation team and handed over the pay orders and cheques.
Senior officials of Pakistan Electric Power Company and Water and Power Development Authority, managing directors of Private Power and Infrastructure Board and generation companies were also examined in the case and their statements recorded.
NAB said it would complete its investigation in the coming week to scrutinise the evidence and other relevant material. After this exercise the accused persons required for further examination would be summoned.
According to the statement, the accountability bureau completed its inquiry in the railways case related to the purchase of spare parts for 69 Chinese locomotives.
The findings, along with the bureau’s recommendations, would be placed before the next Executive Board meeting to take a decision, after which the inquiry would be converted into an investigation. NAB’s inquiry unearthed that 85% of the spare parts purchased are lying unutilised.
Published in The Express Tribune, April 28th, 2012.