Sur-Kshetra: Aslam and Reshammiya set for a battle

Published: December 29, 2011

The singing reality show will see Atif Aslam and Himesh Reshammiya lead Pakistani and Indian teams respectively. PHOTO:FILE

Pop sensation Atif Aslam will soon start shooting for a three-month long musical reality TV show “Sur-Kshetra”, in which he will be leading Pakistani singers while Indian singer Himesh Reshammiya will be leading the Indian side, reports koolmuzone.com. They are also going to judge the show. The show will be shot in Dubai and will most likely go on air early next year.

“Sur-Kshetra” will be broadcast on Sahara One and will provide a platform for upcoming singers from India and Pakistan to showcase their talents, reports rediff.com.

When asked, how “Sur-Kshetra” will be different from other reality shows, Aslam replied; “This show is different because artists from both Pakistan and India are going to share the same platform. There will be a lot of cultural exchange and the Indian audience will come to know about Pakistani culture.”

Additionally, the artist also said that he will try to introduce contemporary music in the show. “A lot of singers have tried it in Bollywood and other shows, but I would like to present it in its true form and in a different manner.”

Apart from this show, Aslam will also be jamming with ex-members of American rock band, Guns N’ Roses, for the “Coke Studio” sessions. However, it’s still not certain whether he will perform for the Pakistani version of the show or the Indian. In a recent interview with Hindustan Times, the singer-cum-actor said that he “will also be performing with a couple of popular Rajasthani folk artists,” which indicates that he will be performing on “Coke Studio @ MTV”, reports koolmuzone.com.

The singer, who also acted in Shoaib Mansoor’s latest film Bol, said that he loves the concept of “Coke Studio” and it was hard for him to say “no” to it. “I’m looking forward to the session, it’s been a dream of sorts. On ‘Coke Studio’, we get a chance to play different genres of music with different artists. I love the concept of the show — I just couldn’t say no.”

Published in The Express Tribune, December 30th, 2011.

on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

• Dr. Ali Ahmed
    Dec 29, 2011 - 9:46PM

how can there be a culture exchange, we we all have been sharing the same culture,

• Shamy
    Dec 29, 2011 - 10:36PM

y cudnt they select a professional singer who knows about surs and taals instead of choosing Atif Aslam? like Ahmed Jehanzaib, Jaffar (kaavish) or Sajjad Ali ? Its obvious Himesh is a stronger contender on that front !

• Hussain Syed
    Dec 29, 2011 - 11:10PM

Himesh and suur? AHAHAHAHAHAAHHA

• murtaza
    Dec 30, 2011 - 1:31AM

both r surless. death of music…..

• TrueMuslim
    Dec 30, 2011 - 7:15AM

Indians always trying to lure Pakistani young people away from Islam. No other country has such hatred of Islam and Indians always attack us. We must ban the show from being shown in Pakistan.

• Sunil
    Dec 30, 2011 - 8:37AM

@Hussain Syed

Normally I would know which side to back (being an Indian) – but seriously, Reshammiyya? Even god could not make him open his blocked nose.

From that Pakistani side, there will be Atif Aslam. Thank god for small mercies…

SunilRecommend

• Prashant
    Dec 30, 2011 - 9:23AM

brothers and sisters just look at it as a another platform where Both countries people will come together.

• pritz
    Dec 30, 2011 - 9:56AM

This show is really gonna big hit.

• PakiKaki
    Dec 30, 2011 - 10:39AM

@Sunil:
    Are you kidding. Atif maybe a star but he is 10 times more surless than Himesh… And it’s a Pakistani saying this…

• Abdul Wahaab Khokhar
    Dec 30, 2011 - 12:20PM

Atif at least you should not team up against himesh urrgh.

• Pravin
    Dec 30, 2011 - 2:32PM

Yesterday, when the advertisement of this program flashed on the TV screen. Most of the people in my house echoed, “Oh Himesh! I am not supporting this Indian side!!” LOL!!

• bushra
    Dec 30, 2011 - 2:36PM

All i want to say is that Atif Aslam is much better than Himesh

• shaq
    Dec 30, 2011 - 2:39PM

better call it sur(less) kshetra

• Ali Mohsin
    Dec 30, 2011 - 4:59PM

@PakiKaki: I strongly second u!!

• IndiKid
    Dec 30, 2011 - 5:25PM

I hate Himesh…all his songs are oooooooooooooooooooooooooo……. I am an Indian and I support Atif. He’s good.Recommend

• Jahanzeb Khan
    Dec 30, 2011 - 6:14PM

I will not comment on Hamesh’s singing but I am convinced that he is a Good Fella though I personally dislike 99% of the Indians who come here to post. I also do not like Atif Aslam as a singer. But He is a good man. I will not be watching this program. I don’t see Music in both of them.Recommend

• junaid
    Dec 31, 2011 - 12:33AM

Ek naak se gaane waala or Ek dil se gaane wala.
    Atif I am your biggest fan I loves your song and specially your voice.
    My favourite song is tere bin of Atif Aslam.I always like to play it on guitar
    I love you atif

• RajX
    Dec 31, 2011 - 3:28AM

This sort of programs are not a bad thing but people associate positive political implications on indo pak events like these. That’s silly. The problems between India and Pakistan are deep. Even if atif Islam and reshamaya hug and kiss and show fantastic commaraderie, it won’t even make a minor dent in the enemity between India and pakistan because the enmity is institutional, historical and cultural. Pakistanis will be seen by most indians as Hindus who betrayed their society and culture by joining the invaders and Pakistanis will always feel that Hindus are enemies of their religion. But a good show is always welcome but don’t create unrealistic expectations.

• Dec 31, 2011 - 12:35PM

@Jahanzeb Khan:
    There are a lot many don’ts and nots with your attitude. Is there anything do or will…

• fazal
    Dec 31, 2011 - 4:02PM

its like asking who is better in cricket? Sudan or Somalia

• Naved Hasan
    Jan 10, 2012 - 4:52PM

I love Atif aslam song but himesh is a great music director & singer,

• Hassan
    Jan 16, 2012 - 11:56AM

atif has more versatality in his voice than himesh and he always sing good song not like himesh theft musician.

• princess
    Jan 21, 2012 - 12:16AM

Atif is d gr8 bst n awsum sngr … he is d bst bst n bst … n stop sayng nyhthn bad bout atif … <3 <3 <3 <3 love u atif … ppl r jelous frm u dts y dey said bd bout u

• Jan 22, 2012 - 12:07AM

atifffffffff u have grat surrrrrrrr

More in Life & Style