Akbar Bugti murder case: Arrest warrant issued for former Balochistan chief minister

Published: November 5, 2011

Jam Mir Mohammad Yusuf.

QUETTA: Arrest warrants were issued on Friday for former Balochistan chief minister and sitting MNA Jam Mir Mohammad Yusuf, an accused nominated in the Nawab Akbar Bugti murder case. The warrant was issued by the Quetta judicial magistrate.

The crime branch tasked to investigate the murder of former governor and chief minister Nawab Bugti had submitted a formal request for Yusuf’s arrest warrants following his nomination in an FIR registered at the Dera Bugti Police Station. Judicial Magistrate-IV Faisal Hameed accepted on Friday the plea filed by the crime branch through the Balochistan home department.

Earlier, the judicial magistrate issued arrest warrants for former president Pervez Musharraf, then premier Shaukat Aziz and former home minister Shoaib Ahmed Nausherwani, a sitting MPA of the Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q).

Nawab Bugti’s eldest son Nawabzada Jamil Bugti lodged an FIR against Musharraf, Aziz, Yusuf, former governor Awais Ahmed Ghani, then interior minister Aftab Ahmed Sherpao and Nausherwani.

According to a senior official of the Balochistan home ministry, the arrest warrants have not yet been dispatched to the federal government for the extradition of the accused who are currently residing abroad. “We have convened a meeting right after Eidul Azha to discuss the issue. The warrants will then be sent to the interior ministry for their extradition,” said Home Secretary Naseebullah Bazai, adding that the crime branch and senior officials of law enforcing agencies will be attending the meeting.

Arrest warrants for Sherpao and Ghani, however, have not been issued so far since they had submitted their reply to the Balochistan High Court assuring that they will extend support during investigations.

Most of the accused, including Yusuf, said in their statements that they had no prior knowledge of the incident and had only learnt about it through the media and government officials.

However, Musharraf, during various interviews, conceded that Nawab Bugti allegedly challenged the writ of the law which was why a military action was taken against him and defended the action that led to Bugti’s killing.

Jamil Bugti’s lawyer said he would approach the federal government to contact countries, like the UAE, with whom Pakistan does not have an extradition treaty. “The government will be approached to send a formal request for extradition,” said Hadi Shakil, counsel for the petitioner.

Aziz and Yusuf have reportedly been residing in the UAE. Yusuf pays a visit to Islamabad off and on to attend meetings of the National Assembly and party sessions.

Published in The Express Tribune, November 5th,  2011.

on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

Related Videos

Reader Comments (5)

  • Umar
    Nov 4, 2011 - 1:25PM

    Good decision by Court.

    Recommend

  • Karim
    Nov 4, 2011 - 4:09PM

    I firmly believe that Bugti was himself responsible for his death as he chosed to fight with state machinery.

    Recommend

  • Karim
    Nov 4, 2011 - 4:11PM

    There is no need to issue arrest warrants or extradite Mr. Musharraf as he himself declared to appear before courts after March 2013

    Recommend

  • Shahid
    Nov 5, 2011 - 1:34AM

    Bugti was not murdered as alleged.He was killed in action fighting the armed forces. If any thing he should be tried after death for his rebellions action and usurping the rights of poor Baluchs.

    Recommend

  • nazir
    Nov 11, 2011 - 3:51PM

    Jam yousaf is now a part of coalition partner, will government allow a free trial.

    Recommend

More in Balochistan