Indian boy undergoes sex change surgery for Pakistani lover

Published: January 12, 2016
PHOTO: TIMES OF INDIA

PHOTO: TIMES OF INDIA

A young man from the Indian city of Lucknow has undergone a sex change surgery to be able to live a ‘normal’ life with his lover across the border in Pakistan.

“It began on a very usual note about five years ago,” Meera, who was previously known as Gaurav, told the Times of India while speaking about her lover Rizwan.

Ambitions: 20-year-old joins PTI after change of sex

Meera reaclled she had affairs with women and was about to marry when she met Rizwan over a social networking site in connection with her PhD. “The topic was related to Sufism which has always reasoned everything around me. He represents a Sufi school of thought too and was helping me understand the nuances for my work,” she said.

The lovers who have not met in person till date, felt their bond grew as their conversations increased with time.

“A time came when we started feeling that we are an extension of each other’s soul,” Meera said, while adding that she is likely to meet her beloved when he visits her in March.

Chinese woman in search of ‘Pakistani runaway boyfriend’ held in Muzaffargarh

“The companionship grew stronger and a time came when he became my mehboob (beloved). In Sufism, that is the pinnacle of love and devotion that crosses boundaries of caste, creed and even gender.”

The couple was amazed at discovering the similarities between them. “I did not realise when he accepted my feelings for him and our bond developed so deep,” she stated.

Citing Rumi to explain her love, Meera said, “Reason is powerless in the expression of love.”

Meera’s decision to undergo a sex change surgery came when Rizwan’s mother started looking for a wife for him. “Internet surfing gave the solution in the form of sex conversion surgery for which both of us volunteered.”

Gender change: Boy undergoes surgery, becomes a girl

Meera approached a doctor in Mumbai who sent him for six-month counselling, over a year ago. Meera’s family barring her sister, an actor in Mumbai, was against the decision but she went ahead and underwent hormone therapy.

“Three surgeries took place in August, September and October to help me embrace a dream life with my beloved,” Meera said.

Upon being questioned by her friends, about Rizwan’s loyalty towards her and their future together, Meera said, “I have immense faith in the Almighty. And I know that even if he does something which I do not want… it will be for my good.”

Meera, who is a Kathak dancer, said the dance is her life, “I cannot live without it. Now, Rizwan is by my side in my endeavour.”

This article originally appeared on Times of India.

• Served
    Jan 12, 2016 - 1:34PM

Dear meera, you have a big heart. I hope your partner loves you just the same. Your story is beautiful no matter what people will say. Which they will, so take it from me, you are an amazing person.Recommend

• Saleem
    Jan 12, 2016 - 2:13PM

Now a media frenzy will start around this ‘spicy’ story. This will be followed by nationalism sentiments and more frenzy or furiosity around the story. Let them live in peace.Recommend

• Sufi Ali
    Jan 12, 2016 - 3:13PM

True love is hard to find. … you have a golden heart MeeraRecommend

• Anon
    Jan 12, 2016 - 3:26PM

It’s unfortunate that true lovers always become victim of orthodox society,
    how can one forget outrage when Jinnah’s daughter came to India and married to non Muslim guyRecommend

• Md. Tahir Shah
    Jan 12, 2016 - 3:51PM

While I respect your decision, are you sure Rizwan and his family are open to the idea? Either way, best of luck for the future.Recommend

• Derwaish
    Jan 12, 2016 - 4:05PM

Its now been a trend for a while that do whatever filth you want and label it Sufism. Oh God! If only Rumi was alive… Recommend

• Sanity
    Jan 12, 2016 - 7:46PM

@Md. Tahir Shah: It was never his decision to make. The decision who he would be was made by no other than his creator. He is mangling with very fabric of nature and I do not understand why people are supporting this collective disorder in the name of freedom. We have to pay the price of others wrong decisions. Recommend

• Sorry
    Jan 12, 2016 - 7:48PM

Sorry but I cannot even look at his face knowing that this ‘lady’ was a he before… Recommend

• Raj - USA
    Jan 12, 2016 - 8:26PM

“He” undergoes an operation to change to “She”. Where is love in this? If you have to physically change yourself and become someone else for you to love and be loved, where is love?
    I am with @derwaish on this. Both parties here are filthy in their thoughts and deeds. Recommend

• Vinod chauhan
    Jan 12, 2016 - 8:31PM

Both of them are attention seekers. Please keep it underground as its not civilized.Recommend

• Jan 12, 2016 - 9:22PM

this is a grave mistake, never trust a young man who is that ho…y probably was just joking, this is unfortunate but will not lead to any happy ending, atleast for her, pakistani authorities should punish this guy for making someones life this difficultRecommend

• Quresh
    Jan 12, 2016 - 10:02PM

You are very bold and you have a lot of courage. You are free and you can do whatever you want to do. But one thing I would to mention, you did not understand Rumi and Sufism. If you were complete man then for the sack of GOD’s love, you should not change GOD’s creation. Recommend

• Lion King
    Jan 12, 2016 - 10:56PM

Man…Recommend

• WTF
    Jan 12, 2016 - 10:59PM

Undergoing sex change for her lover and calling it sufism are these people out of their minds .
    @ served only mentally ill people take these kinds of imprudent and foolish steps. and more foolish are those who praise these actions.Recommend

• Clockboy Ahmed
    Jan 12, 2016 - 11:40PM

Is Meera relocating to PK or Rizwan coming over to India?Recommend

• Mian
    Jan 13, 2016 - 1:09AM

@Anon:
    and what happened after that? Tell the whole story, don’t leave it in the middle. Tell that she went ahead and married that Parsi and lived happily after. Nothing happened to her and then one day after a long time, in old age, few years back she visited Pakistan for the first time and was accorded a very warm welcome by the Muslims of Pakistan. People were happy that the daughter of the father of nation has visited them. But you won’t tell all this because it does not fit your agenda i.e portraying Muslims of Pakistan as fiend.Recommend

• Czar
    Jan 13, 2016 - 3:37AM

@WTF:
    Very true…Recommend

• syed & syed
    Jan 13, 2016 - 4:26AM

These twitter, face books etc should be discouraged at least in Indo Pakistan continent.Poor Meera changed her sex. She cannot become complete women. What will happen Mr Rizwan is 60 years old or deaf and dumb giving some one else s photos.Their knowledge about Roomi and Soofism appears to be very shallow I appeal to all those who are using internet facilities to think before you jump Recommend

• Hameed
    Jan 13, 2016 - 4:50AM

@Sanity:

he decision who he would be was made by no other than his creator.

Who told you this? The creator said no such thing.If creator wanted him a girl he would have made him one. Case closed.Recommend

• Nasir Hameed
    Jan 13, 2016 - 6:14AM

@Sanity “*We have to pay the price of others wrong decisions

How will you pay price for a sex change operation some one across the border has opted for? What we have paid a price for, collectively as a society, is when people based on their religious beliefs have tried to dictate how others should behave.

Example: TTP’s rejection of democracy and implementation of Sharia in Pakistan.
    Price paid by the society: 40000 lives and counting Recommend

• Islamic Thekedar
    Jan 13, 2016 - 10:12AM

All the best and be happy as long as and wherever you live.Recommend

• Jan 13, 2016 - 10:21AM

I feel sorry for Meera . Her decision was based on obsession about Rizwan. WHAT IF RIZWAN CHEATS AND ABONDONS HER. I have seen so many of these things that involves Pakistanis here in Sydney as well as in Karachi and USA. Does Rizwan’s mother accepts Meera and what will happend if Rizwan’s family demands him to produce an heir which Meera can not do. Poor Meera you should at least have met Rizwan in person before making such a big decision. There are lots of Indian teenagers who love Pakistan and wants to visit there for many reasons and meet Pakistani families and people . Their only obstacle is can’t obtain Pakistani visa . Pakistan should relax visa restriction for Indian people. Do away decades old prejudices and listen to common peoples needs of both countriesRecommend

• B
    Jan 13, 2016 - 6:18PM

No wonder why the world has turned into a theater of insanity!Recommend

• B
    Jan 13, 2016 - 6:22PM

@Sufi Ali: what if 1 of your family members do something like this would you say the same to them that true love is hard to find and plz be honest with yourselfRecommend

• Lotus
    Jan 13, 2016 - 8:04PM

@Ali,such a ridiculous idea that the Pakistan govt should take action against Rizwan.y
    Don’t you think theGovt/state has enough responsibilties for their citizens which they fail miserably to do e.g.,health facilities,schooling,higher education,roads network construction and maintenance,the list is very long.Still a smart Alec like you think that the State should get involve in this matter between two love birds.You seem to believe in a Police State like in the Stalinist era or nowadays Saudi Arabia,where every one tunes to the official music and the Royality can do anything and anywhere because they have blue blood!Recommend

• Saqib
    Jan 13, 2016 - 10:43PM

Animals.Even these types of things are not considered as decent in USA.Pakistanis wants to become more liberal even than the Americans.Recommend

• Ibrahim Shah
    Jan 14, 2016 - 12:31AM

Simply wow for the sprite of such love. Especially when cited the rumi Reason is powerless in the expression of love.”Recommend

• Muhammad Suhaib
    Jan 14, 2016 - 1:29PM

Why cant a normal (i.e. by birth) boy and girl from Pakistan and India get to know each other and do a decent Nikah with the Blessing of Allah Almighty and their own parents rather than resort to this?? Did Sufi’s ever teach gender transformation, they would shudder at the thought of altering the Blessing that Allah has given to one naturally in the form of gender and its qualities. Suck kind of stories should be reported carefully otherwise young and impressionable minds can get carried away and have false notion of love and passion. Its a very depressing story as far as I am concerned. Allah Protect us all from this, Aameen. Recommend

• k k khan
    Jan 15, 2016 - 12:45AM

Be cautious with the scathing remarks guys, when involved are the emotions of an individual like you and me. I condemn this news, which caters to the lows amongst usRecommend

• Sahi
    Jan 15, 2016 - 2:41AM

@mohammad khan:
    your one sided sermon reeks of biasness.Recommend

• Jan 15, 2016 - 7:07AM

@Sahi: I am simply telling what I have seen. When did I make a sermon?. My report irritates you because you are a Pakistani. I have met many Rizwans from Pakistan. You must be well aware of that too if you live in Karachi. Do you use Skype at all? I can sponsor you to Australia but please do not abandon me like other Rizwans once you get your PR here. Bring some beautiful saris and gold bangles for me. Why would I be bias when I am a Pakistani myself from Dera Ismail KhanRecommend

• Human
    Jan 15, 2016 - 7:43PM

@Mian
    On the dot!
    And who can forget the collective hate the Indians, as a nation, showed towards their icon, Sania Mirza when she decided to marry Pakistan’s Sohaib Malik! Only absolute determination on the part of Sohaib and Sania finally thwarted the goons. Recommend