Egyptian air strikes kill 23 militants in North Sinai - sources

Published: July 2, 2015


ISMAILIA: Egypt launched air strikes on terrorist targets in the Sinai peninsula on Thursday, killing 23 fighters a day after the deadliest clashes in the region in years, security sources said.

The sources said those killed had taken part in Wednesday’s fighting in which 100 militants and 17 soldiers, including four officers, were killed, according to the army spokesman.

Sinai-based insurgents, affiliates of Islamic State, have stepped up attacks on soldiers and police since then-army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi toppled Islamist President Mohamed Mursi in 2013 after mass protests against his rule.

Sisi, now Egypt’s elected president, says the pro-Islamic State group Sinai Province, and other militant factions, pose an existential threat to Egypt, other Arab states and the West.

This week has been especially troubling for Egypt, a strategic US ally which has a peace treaty with Israel and controls the Suez Canal, a vital global shipping lane.

The militants’ assault, a significant escalation in violence in the peninsula between Israel, the Gaza Strip and the Suez Canal, was the second major attack in Egypt this week.

On Monday, a car bomb killed the prosecutor-general in Cairo, the highest-profile official to die since the insurgency began.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (1)

  • curious2
    Jul 2, 2015 - 5:22PM

    Egyptian military won’t allow journalist in the area so I wouldn’t take the number of militants killed too seriously. Tribes in the Sinai region don’t like the military and are likely to provide shelter to the Muslim Brotherhood militants.Recommend

More in World