Karachi heatwave death toll crosses 1,200: Health Department

Published: June 28, 2015
Email
PHOTO: AFP

PHOTO: AFP

KARACHI: The Sindh Health Department has confirmed that the death toll of the continuing heatwave in Karachi has crossed 1,200.

“We have added the number of deaths at private hospitals from the last two days,” disclosed DG Health Hasan Murad Shah on Sunday.

Contrary to earlier reports of health officials, new reports say only 10 people died as a result of the heatwave in the rest of the province as opposed to 80.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif will visit the metropolitan city on Monday to discuss how the blistering heatwave caused hundreds of deaths in Sindh.

Read: No mercy: After morgues, city runs out of funeral vans

The DG health told The Express Tribune that all hospitals, including private facilities, had been directed to submit their reports of heatstroke-related patients, regularly.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (3)

  • Hasan Askari
    Jun 28, 2015 - 8:45PM

    Federal government is responsible for deaths of 1200 people in Karachi

    Whenever there is extreme natural disaster federal government takes extra measure. In this case we were told that well we supplied our share of 650 watts. What an answer.

    The government has not done anything for Karachi. Provincial government is corrupt and inept

    I hope and pray that Allah punishes these people severely for their crimesRecommend

  • Azi
    Jun 29, 2015 - 5:16AM

    As long as ignorant people still giving these tried again and again politicians votes while they sit in air-conditioned rooms, this expression of sadness is only limited to words.Recommend

  • Salman
    Jun 29, 2015 - 6:03AM

    bury the rulers with the corpses !Recommend

More in Pakistan