Marvi Memon files more evidence on bund breach

Published: November 10, 2010
Email
She had earlier alleged in her petition that water was diverted to save Shahbaz Airbase

She had earlier alleged in her petition that water was diverted to save Shahbaz Airbase

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q) legislator Marvi Memon has filed additional documents to the Supreme Court as evidence that Tori dyke was breached intentionally.

Earlier, Memon had also filed a petition alleging that floodwater was diverted to Balochistan from Jacobabad to save the Shahbaz Airbase which is used by US forces. She argued that influential people had breached embankments of canals and barrages to serve their own interests but the government had failed to take any notice.

The Supreme Court had also taken suo motu notice of such reports and will resume hearing today (Wednesday).

As evidence, Memon submitted portions of the Bund Manual and the text of the Sindh irrigation minister’s August 7 talk, which read: “We made breaches intentionally in the Ghauspur Loop Bund, which is a second line of defence, and our technical experts will explain later but everything has been done intentionally and with the consent of the Sindh government”.

She also submitted the causes of breaches and immediate action in the event of a breach which, according to her, point to negligence on part of the Sindh irrigation department.

Speaking to The Express Tribune, Memon said that the Sindh government has failed to follow the Bund Manual. “According to the Bund Manual, which I have submitted to the court, the Sindh government has failed to follow it and to protect the infrastructure,” Memon said. “Where is the investigation report according to this manual?”

Apart from Memon, Fakhruddin G Ebrahim and Senate Deputy Chairman Mir Jan Muhammad Jamali formally approached the chief justice of Pakistan to take appropriate action on alleged illegal breaches.

In the last hearing of the case, the court sought a written reply from the federation, the chief secretaries of Sindh and Balochistan, the National Disaster Management Authority and various other departments.

Published in The Express Tribune, November 10th, 2010.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (4)

  • Sadaf
    Nov 10, 2010 - 2:56PM

    This has to be the most epic title for a news story. Recommend

  • SS
    Nov 10, 2010 - 8:49PM

    Hahahah… Sadaf! You bet! :pRecommend

  • Mujtaba
    Nov 10, 2010 - 9:01PM

    an epic headlineRecommend

  • haroon
    Nov 10, 2010 - 9:10PM

    Sadaf. I have to admit. I was slow. but it is epic. :D cant stop myself from laughing in office. Recommend

More in Pakistan