Terror in Gilgit-Baltistan: Nanga Parbat investigators shot dead in Chilas

Published: August 7, 2013
Army officials offering the funeral prayers of Pakistan Army' Colonel Mustafa and Captain Ashfaq. PHOTO: INP

Army officials offering the funeral prayers of Pakistan Army' Colonel Mustafa and Captain Ashfaq. PHOTO: INP


Taliban militants shot dead three security officials investigating the recent massacre of foreign mountaineers in the Gilgit-Baltistan region early Tuesday.

The new Jandul Hafsa faction of the outlawed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for the attack. The same group had claimed credit for the killing of 10 foreign trekkers and their Pakistani guide in a base camp of Nanga Parbat, the 9th tallest peak of the world, on June 23.

Militants ambushed a vehicle in Chilas district, killing Superintendent Police Hilal Ahmed, Colonel Ghulam Mustafa and Captain Ashfaq Aziz. Col Mustafa was said to be responsible for internal security in Chilas, the town that shares border with Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa’s Kohistan district.

A security official confirmed that the slain officials were investigating the June 23 killing of foreign climbers.

DIG Ali Sher also confirmed the casualties. “The officials were returning to the rest house from the house of the deputy commissioner when they were ambushed by armed men,” he told The Express Tribune. Police cordoned off the area immediately and launched a manhunt for the killers.

Investigators said SP Hilal was driving the vehicle when it was ambushed. He died on the spot while Col Mustafa and Captain Aziz died from their wounds later at the state-run hospital in Chilas.

“This is an act of terrorism,” DIG Sher Ali said, adding that it was too early to speculate who could be behind the attack. G-B’s Information Minister Muhammad Ismail said the government was looking at the incident from different angles. “We shouldn’t jump to the conclusion without any evidence,” he said.

Chief Minister Mehdi Shah paid tribute to the slain officials and assured that the killers would be brought to justice. Bodies of the slain officials were airlifted to Islamabad.

Published in The Express Tribune, August 7th, 2013.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (7)

  • Nadir
    Aug 7, 2013 - 2:38AM

    So no formal funeral for the dead policeman?


  • Hasan
    Aug 7, 2013 - 3:39AM

    But Imran Khan would still want to talk to them!


  • Sodomite
    Aug 7, 2013 - 8:12AM

    Per IG NWFP, it’s a cricket match. The militants just took 3-0. That’s a ha-trick in a single ball. Looks like Police is losing by an Inning!!!!


  • Karim
    Aug 7, 2013 - 9:08AM

    we need to understand one thing….we are at war with terrorists.


  • Aalia
    Aug 7, 2013 - 10:02AM

    we see police officers having tight security in all provinces why are the key people of GB such an easy target to terrorists


  • Angry citizen
    Aug 7, 2013 - 1:51PM

    May Allah rest their souls in peace and provide them the best place in Jannah…Ameen


  • NR
    Aug 7, 2013 - 7:21PM

    @Hasan:Yep blame IK, our national punching bag….


More in Gilgit Baltistan