ISLAMABAD: Interior Minister Rehman Malik has said that Afghan President Hamid Karzai has admitted that some of the trouble in Balochistan is emanating from his country.
“President Karzai has promised to stop infiltration of militants from Afghanistan into Pakistan,” Malik told reporters on Sunday, in a first instance of a senior Pakistani official saying on the record that the insurgency in Balochistan was being aggravated because of Afghanistan.
Last month, Pakistani officials complained to Karzai on the issue while he attended a trilateral summit hosted by Pakistan and attended by Afghanistan and Iran. Balochistan officials have also raised the issue of cross-border infiltration into the province. Last month, Afghan security forces, chasing militants, also intruded inside Qilla Saifullah and killed two men.
In response to Islamabad’s request, Kabul has formally given its assurance to stop the infiltration of militants from Kandahar to Balochistan’s border district Chaman.
But, on the other hand, Afghan security forces have also been blaming Islamabad for clandestine support to Taliban militants. Pakistani officials have accused Afghan security forces for supporting Quetta Shura – the top Taliban leadership council – for plotting terror incidents in the province.
Visas to American citizens
Pakistan will not extend visas of American citizens without any solid reasons, according to Malik. “No American citizen will be allowed to enter Pakistan without valid documents. They will only be allowed inside Pakistan if they seek proper permission from the interior and foreign ministries.”
Check on private security firms
Malik said that the interior ministry has kept a check on private security firms’ activities since he assumed charge in 2008. “Their no-objection certificates (NoCs) are being verified. Heads of these firms have been asked to renew their NoCs and licences as and when they expire.”