FAISALABAD: The families of two girls, allegedly abducted and gang raped in December 2011, by two men, have accused the Saddar police of not taking any action against the nominated suspects.
They said that despite registration of the FIR identifying the rapists, the police had taken no steps to arrest them. They said the police had told them that the houses of the accused will be raided on Friday, but they were not. They also said that some people of the area had seen one of the accused roaming around in the area on Sunday morning. They said despite police assurances of arresting the accused as soon as they saw them, nothing had been done so far.
Chak 179-GB’s resident Riffat’s* family on Friday registered a case against two men, also residents of the same area, after she managed to escape from their custody and returned home on Friday morning.
Riffat, who was kidnapped in December 2011 from the fields near her house, said that the two men had tied her hands and legs and gagged her mouth when she was being transported. She told the police that she was taken to an unidentified place, where she was kept in a room and repeatedly raped by several men.
She said while a captive, she had heard her abductors talking to other men about kidnapping more girls.
She said she had also heard them talking about Farzana*, a girl from her neighbourhood, who was abducted two years ago.
She said they appeared to have raped her and then sold her for Rs300,000.
Farzana’s father said that he had registered a kidnapping case when his daughter went missing in 2010. However, no action had been taken so far on the complaint, he said.
He demanded that police to take immediate action to recover his daughter saying, “The police now have evidence that Farzana was abducted and raped.”
Assistant Sub Inspector Atif Ali of the Gojra Sadar police station told The Express Tribune that the suspects had left the neighbourhood a long time ago. He said he had no idea how someone had seen one of them (the accused) in the neighbourhood.
We will conduct more raids to arrest them and recover the girl. But we need to investigate all claims,” he said.
*Names have been changed to protect identity
Published in The Express Tribune, February 27th, 2012.