Pakistan: A headache for the rest of the world

Published: July 28, 2011

KARACHI: This is with reference to Sami Shah’s article of July 28 titled “The Pakistanisation of lunacy”. Apart from the irony, occasional humour and touch of sarcasm in the article, what the writer is saying is generally true. And I say this notwithstanding that our so-called ‘Mullah Brigade’ likes to blame the rest of the world for all the problems that currently ail Pakistan.

If the rest of the world equates Pakistan with terrorism and mayhem, it is for good reason and doesn’t mean that there is worldwide conspiracy to defame our good name, contrary to what our saviours in khaki would have us believe.

Pakistan is reaping the harvest of the past 30 years or so of its cultivation of the forces of bigotry, doublespeak, intolerance and hypocrisy in all aspects of its existence: Religious, social, political as well as intellectual.

Such is our infamy that whenever there is a lunatic who blows himself up in a foreign land, we wait anxiously, our fingers crossed, hoping that the perpetrator is not one of us. Our country accounts for more suicide bombings than Iraq or Afghanistan and has more than its fair share of sectarian and other hate crimes.

We keep blowing up our schools so that our girls don’t get an education, keep silencing our moderates who preach tolerance and keep living in the false belief that the world is out to get us. The fact is that for most of the rest of the world, which in any case is moving ahead, we are not more than a headache that refuses to go away.

Shame on all 180 million of us.

Hasan Abidi

Published in The Express Tribune, July 29th, 2011.

• Aqleem Mirza
    Jul 29, 2011 - 2:29AM

@ Hasan Abedi

I read the peice by Mr. Sami Shah.I also read the opinion written by Mr. Hasan Abedi on that piece.In all honesty, the comments of Mr. Hasan Abedi far outshone the original article, in terms of content, fluency, style and brilliance.
    Its no offense to the author or the editor ( who completely edited in this letter the original comments posted by Mr. Abedi. I guess due to is length) but to be fair I have observed a lot many times that more often than not a lot of writers somehow manage to find place for their average writing skills, while the excellent ones ( in this case Mr. Abedi ) are somehow not given their due prominance on your spread.
    I remember a blog on Party in DHA or something like that, written by a female.
    Just a thought, as Tribune has some of the finest writing and thinking minds behind it, or it would not have come so far i such a short time. Recommend

• Aqleem Mirza
    Jul 29, 2011 - 2:40AM

@ Hasan Abedi

I read the piece by Mr. Sami Shah. I also read the comments written by Mr. Hasan Abedi on that piece. In all honesty the comments written by Mr. Hasan Abedi far outshone the original article in terms of content, fluency, style and brilliance. It is no offense to the author or the editor ( who completely edited in this lettre the original comments of Mr. Hasan Abedi. I guess due to its length). But I have observed that more often than not, somehow a writer with substandard writing skills finds space in your spread, whereas more accomplished ones are not given their due share. I remember reading a piece on Party in DHA or something like that. It was terrible, but she managed to have it printed. All I am saying is fairplay. Because Tribune has one of the best writing and thinking minds or else it would not have come so far in such a short time.

• Frank
    Jul 29, 2011 - 11:25AM

So some lunatic in Norway murders a hundred people and I should feel ashamed? I don’t think so. Dear liberals, please stop this constant self-flagellation. It really is a disgusting sight to behold.

• Hasan Abidi
    Jul 29, 2011 - 2:05PM

@Aqleem Mirza

Dear Mr.Mirza, your kind and flattering comments are much appreciated.
    Just striving to voice my feelings as a cocerned citizen.

Thanx

• Hasan Abidi
    Jul 29, 2011 - 2:14PM

@ Frank

Dear Mr. Frank,

Kindly have a go again at wat i wrote in my original comments.

Nowhere did I hold Pakistan and/or Pakistani society responsible for the act of the Norway luny.

Frankly speaking Mr. Frank, I guess u didnt quite follow my viewpoint sir.

If u carefully read sir, u wd appreciate the analogy i was trying to strike.

I was struggling to co relate and co equate the sense of terror now being felt in Norway for the first time ( & hopefully last) , as a matter of daily life in my country, and also attempted to briefly dwell on the reasons behind the sorry state of affairs.

My piece was more like a Cause-Effect analysis, so to speak.

Hope that addresses n settles your ” disgust” that u feel for lost n wandering ” liberals” like my humble self.

Gd day Mr. Frank

Hasan AbidiRecommend

• Frank
    Jul 29, 2011 - 3:27PM

Dear Mr. Hasan Abidi, please stop doing this to yourself. Put away your (self)torture implements and step out of your liberal (self)torture chamber into the sunshine. The world can be a beautiful a place if you allow it to be, and Pakistan is one of the most beautiful places in it. .

• Adeel759
    Jul 29, 2011 - 3:48PM

Iwish what MrAbedi expressed could be disputed, I would be the first in line to defend my counter but this country has become indefensible. Immediately after 9-11 we would struggle to find some reasoning to defend the failed and self inflicting policies of this country but one cant do it anymore. She has too fix her problems, threats the only solution. Couple of years back, former Sec of State reflected, “Pakistan has become migraine for the world” and so true.Recommend

• khan of quetta
    Jul 30, 2011 - 4:25PM

well in the cold war mullahs were good for europe america and pakistan now they are terrorists boy we change our perceptions faster than a human blinks eyeRecommend

More in Letters