Give me reason for constant snub, Kamran Akmal asks selection committee

Published: February 25, 2017
Photo credit: GLYN KIRK/AFP

Photo credit: GLYN KIRK/AFP

DUBAI: Wicketkeeper-batsman Kamran Akmal on Friday urged the selection committee to give a reason for his consistent omission from the national squad despite strong performances in the domestic circuit and the ongoing Pakistan Super League (PSL).

Kamran, who scored a match-wining half-century for Peshawar Zalmi against Lahore Qalandars on Friday, said that he doesn’t know what else to do to earn his place in the national side.

Kamran Akmal and the cost of mistakes

“I have been performing [well] in both the domestic season and in the PSL,” he told The Express Tribune. “I have proven my fitness through my performances, but even then I am left out of the national side.”

The 35-year-old added that now he wants to know the reason why he is continuously being overlooked. “I want to know how players like me, who have been doing well in domestic tournaments, will make a place in the national side,” he said, adding that he has already talked to the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) officials about the matter.

The wicketkeeper-batsman believes he still has a couple of years’ worth of cricket left in him and wants to contribute to the national side. “I want to give my best in the four-five years that are left in me,” he said.

PCB divided over Kamran Akmal’s inclusion in ODI squad

For Kamran, giving up is not an option; however, if he remains unselected for Pakistan’s tour of the West Indies next month, then he said he would think hard about his future.

“I haven’t given up till now and am still performing,” he said. “If I get selected, then my hard work would have paid off, but if I don’t get picked then I will decide what to do [next].”

The Zalmi match-winner added he still hopes for the best. “My family and my domestic team members have always supported me and motivated me, which has kept me going and I hope my hard work pays off,” said Kamran.

• Zubair
    Feb 25, 2017 - 3:06PM

You and your brothers have been bad luck for Pakistan. Recommend

• Such bolta hoon
    Feb 25, 2017 - 3:08PM

It’s simple Kamran,
    They don’t need additional wicketkeepers while Sarfaraz is around. Priority is to get good all rounders with good bowling skill.
    Chill where you are and start to think of something productive along with super leagues, Recommend

• AD
    Feb 25, 2017 - 3:49PM

I think the main reason was already given by Azizi in one of the TV show.But if performance is there then selextion is around the corner. Keep playing wellRecommend

• Jehanzeb Idrees
    Feb 25, 2017 - 4:46PM

You’ve been solely responsible for the most Test-series losses due to your performance starting from English series in 2006. Have some sense of justice or die in shame.Recommend

• Ahmed Ali
    Feb 25, 2017 - 9:46PM

Very funny, he thinks he can still be selected ? good boards would have gotten rid of him much earlier. If I were the selector, I would have dropped him in the middle of test series in 2006 in England, he was that pathetic. He was undoubtedly the villain of England 2006, South Africa 2007, Australia 2010 and countless other series, ODIs, ICC world cups etc. If we had a decent keeper between 2006 and 2012, we would have surely won many more test series and maybe a few cups. He costed Kaneria and Sami their careers, he also dropped so many chances off Akhter. He does not have it in him. Kakmal – NEVER AGAIN !!!!Recommend

• Muneer
    Feb 26, 2017 - 8:32AM

Inconsistent batting and wicket keeping most of the time.Mostly drop a catch or miss a stumping /run out chance at the most crucial time of most crucial batsman.It amounts to less than average performance.Recommend

• ShamelessPakistanis