QUETTA: An important leader of the banned Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA), Falak Sher Badini, surrendered on Monday before paramilitary and civilian authorities at a news conference arranged by provincial Home Minister Mir Sarfaraz Ahmed Bugti.
The function was attended, among others, by Sector Commander of the Frontier Corps, Quetta, Brigadier Khalid Baig, spokesman for the provincial government Anwarul Haq and SSP Operations Muhammad Iqbal.
After the formal surrender, Badini said that from now onwards, he would serve the country as a loyal Pakistani citizen.
Badini maintained that he had been associated with the banned militant outfit for the past three years. He said that he had gone abroad where he was running the proscribed organisation’s social media website for two years.
According to him, he had been deceived and misled by anti-state elements because he was underage at the time he joined the militant organisation. “I fought against the country before going aboard,” Badini said, adding that he now understood the real situation and distanced himself from anti-state activities. “I have (also) distanced myself from erroneous path … I am joining the mainstream (political process) to serve the country,” he said.
Appealing to his colleagues and Baloch youth, he urged them not to succumb to propaganda unleashed by India and other countries. “Now I will fight for protecting the country,” Falak Sher said. He urged Baloch youngsters to focus their attention on education and serve the country.
Balochistan’s Home Minister Mir Sarfarz Ahmed Bugti welcomed the former BLA commander for abandoning armed struggle and said that Falak Sher Badini had been in contact with the Frontier Corps for a long time and FC officers had persuaded him to surrender arms and rejoin the national mainstream.
Published in The Express Tribune, January 10th, 2017.