KARACHI: The Sindh High Court (SHC) granted on Tuesday more time to the federal law officer for filing comments of the interior ministry and Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) regarding the inclusion of former provincial minister Sharjeel Inam Memon on the Exit Control List (ECL).
A division bench, headed by Justice Muhammad Farooq Shah, granted till July 21 for filing the comments.
Memon, a leader of the Pakistan Peoples Party who is currently in self-exile in London, had approached the court last month against initiation of corruption inquiries against him and placement of his name on the ECL.
He had left the country following a crackdown by law enforcement agencies against corruption in Sindh.
The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) is probing corruption and embezzlement charges of billions of rupees in the Sindh information department.
Memon said the federal government had placed his name in the ECL without any reason. The judges were informed that despite various attempts, the memorandum for placing Memon's name on the ECL was not being provided to the petitioner by the FIA.
During Monday's proceedings, the federal law officer requested time to file comments on behalf of the respondents.
Meanwhile, Memon's counsel, Faiz Shah, contended that the former minister wanted to return to the country but wants to travel to London again for medical treatment again. However, he apprehends restrictions on his movement as his name has still not been taken off the ECL, said Shah. The division bench approved the federal law officer's request, allowing time for filing comments of the federal authorities till July 21.
Published in The Express Tribune, July 13th, 2016.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ