10 things Pakistanis hate to hear
You can't blame America for everything and your daughter has the right to marry the man of her choice!
One of the biggest disadvantages of living in a nation as homogeneous as ours is that it is very seldom that you get to hear alternative narratives on history, religion, culture and society in general. People who try and present narratives that are different from the main stream are labelled as agents, heretics or even worse, traitors.
Here I have made a list of ten things that average Pakistanis just don’t want to hear.
1. America and Israel cannot be blamed for all the miseries of the Muslim world in general and Pakistan in particular. For a country that was hand in gloves with the Americans just until the early nineties, our youth has an amazing tendency to blame all national problems on American polices. Right winged politicians are always busy in concocting this feel good account that we are perfect, peace loving people who are being pushed to the brink of collapse by Zionist and Kaffirs (infidels).
2. We live in an amazing country in which supposedly educated people like Aamir Liaquat preach in their honey laden voice that Islam is the most peaceful religion in the world and then go on making hate speeches against Ahmadis. If you really want people to respect Islam, remove discriminatory and archaic laws like the blasphemy and Hudood Ordinance. Learned scholars like Ghamidi have elaborated numerous times that blasphemy law has no relevance in true Islamic jurisprudence (of course now he is hiding in Malaysia, scared for his life ─ a fantastic indicator of how we deal with diverse opinions).
3. Minorities are persecuted in the bastion of Islam that our mullahs have created. Somehow, we as a nation are steadfast in the belief that the state of Pakistan is benevolent towards its minorities. Talk about the persecution that these minorities face starting from the constitution to the school textbooks and people will label you as anti Pakistan.
4. Women can date and marry according to their own will and this includes your female relatives (the last part infuriates them like anything). Somehow the 20-something on a date does not believe that his sister has the same rights as him. And this logic extends to family elders as well because in their patriarchal minds, killing their daughter would not shame the family name in the same way as if the same daughter went out on a date or married according to her choice.
5. The army is as much to blame, if not more, as the politicians for the ills of the country. Although recent years have seen a slight change in the national mindset with the army getting a bit of stick as well but still, for a common man, the army is all about national honour and so on and so forth.
6. Honour definitely comes after nutrition on the list of necessities. We are a nation so obsessed with national honour and pride that we are blinded to the simple fact that countries dependent on foreign aid for their economic survival cannot show much spine despite their nuclear arsenal and Zaid Hamids.
7. Hate Zardari all you want but we are a corrupt nation to our core. Somehow in the perfect world created by Ansar Abbasi and Shahid Masood, we are so happy to externalise all of our flaws onto a single person and party, that we never want to face up to the bitter reality. We were corrupt a long time before Zardari and we will be corrupt a long time after him.
8. Our culture and traditions have much more in common with India, especially the northern India, than to the puritanical strain of Islam that has influenced us deeply for the last three decades. For some strange reason people are much happier in telling how their ancestors were Arabs rather than admitting that their forefathers never left the subcontinent and converted to Islam from some local religion. The 'Allah Hafizians' take particular exception to this.
9. Every individual and institution that talks about plurality, regional peace, women rights and secularism is not funded by the United States and does not have an ulterior motive. People like Marvi Sirmed and Dr Hoodbhoy are a classic example of this: despite of their intellectual soundness and rational arguments they are conspicuous punching bags for the defenders of national honour who incessantly label them as foreign spies and agents.
10. Theocracy is nothing but a tyrannical rule of the clergy and the only system of governance for modern nation states is democracy, superiority of constitution and dichotomy of power amongst various pillars of the state. This again irritates the 'Allah Hafizians', Napoleon Guls and Ali Azmats who want to rid the world of democratic evils and establish an international caliphate.
P.S. You think I am kidding? Wait till you see the comments...
Read more by Omer here.
s the media who made him a hero & then a zero & your newspaper is a part of thisfree media` as well. (Freedom, this media never deserved) Apart from some incidents more than half of which are sensationalised for ratings, there is no such thing as minority persecution. Have you ever heard of a Sikh being killed in Peshawar (& FYI there are a lot of them living there) or a Christian who are running successful schools/colleges there or in Multan? (Go & look for yourself instead of using Wikipedia for your information) The time in which we are living is very different, people are becoming sensible now but there are incidents no doubt & the only reason is lack of education. Constantly subjecting people to all the negative things like Maya Khan date-catcher or the other so called moral police on every channel is what discourages parents to let their daughters go out. (I guess you need to come out of your cave in Arabian Sea & go out more often to see that time`s have changed) Yes! Let us bash Army because the only progress Pakistan ever saw was when Army was in power, because they helped during the earthquake & during the floods, let us blame Army for every murder & fraud from Khyber to Karachi. (Fear the day when they`ll stop protecting you by sacrificing their lives everyday.) You are speaking as if
honoris something to be ashamed of. You & others like you may be ashamed but We are not. And about the aid, tell me how much of that aid reached you? or me? or any other common citizen of this country? NONE. That aid was always for the people in power. (But, if you are really getting something out of it then let me know I am willing to take my words back for some $) You may be corrupt but I am not sorry to inform you that I am not. I never took or gave bribe, I never asked anyone
bigto make a call for me, I never voted for anyone corrupt & I suffered because of it but I am proud that I am not Corrupt. Yes! Let
s make that aman with India because it invaded our lands, is blocking our waters, assisting insurgencies here, training terrorists to kill our people because WE ARE SO SIMILAR. (If you are so in love with India, WHY DONT YOU LEAVE THEN?) May be not every thing you mentioned is sponsored by US but what have these so called
institutionsreally done here? Half of these things turn out to be some scam in the end. Dr. Hoodbhoy is a brilliant scientist no doubt about that but that doesn
t mean he can be a a good politician or a bureaucrat. (Itll be good if everyone concentrated in their own fields of expertise rather than playing reformer, right Mr.Economist?) Democracy, the best revenge is of course the best thing for us. It made this country a paradise, there is no power shortage, no inflation, no unemployment & we are literally living in Utopia. (How about you look at the eras when Army used to rule this country & check how many differences can you find)
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ