From billboards to the big screen Humaima has done it on her own

Published: July 10, 2013

Actor says working with Sanjay Dutt was a great experience. DESIGN: SAMRA AAMIR

LAHORE:

Humaima Malik may have landed a Bollywood film with Sanjay Dutt and a contract with Lux as its brand ambassador in Pakistan, but her aspirations to be in the limelight were born when she was a young girl. At 14, she landed her first modeling project. Since then, there has been no looking back for the starlet. She forayed into acting and successfully worked her way up in the industry. But it wasn’t all hunky dory for Humaima.

“It was difficult because we didn’t really get permission to leave our homes,” she explains, talking about her initial days. “The competition was such that people never really allowed others to move forward.” Opportunities were scarce as there wasn’t much happening in the forefront. However, Humaima now feels that times have changed and the competition is healthy.

She claims she is a self-made woman. “I didn’t have any letter [of recommendation] or CV. Whatever I have done, I’ve done it on my own,” she says proudly. “I learnt and understood everything by myself. I now look after my family and I feel proud of it.”

Humaima, who recently hosted the Lux Style Awards (LSAs), feels that awards are a great way to encourage artists to work harder. “Awards mean a lot to artists because they allow them to grow; they also provide opportunities for artists to receive appreciation and encouragement for their work,” she says. “We need awards like Lux [LSAs] to promote and appreciate our own artists for their work and credibility.”

Bollywood, here she comes!

“I don’t know how I started to act but when I did, I found it quite interesting,” says the model-turned-actor who played the lead in Bol, which consequently opened doors for her in Bollywood. “There was less money in acting but it was a place where you had to constantly prove yourself by playing different characters.” Malik has just wrapped up her B-town project Sher, where she plays the wife of a don (Sanjay Dutt). While Sher is slated for an August release, Humaima signed three films with Vidhu Vinod Chopra, with one being Chittiyan.

“I really enjoy working in Bollywood movies. They are professionals and I am also looking forward to seeing a positive attitude towards my work in our own industry as well,” she continues. “And as far as working with Sanjay Dutt is concerned, it was an amazing chance for a young actor to work with such a legend.”

Humaima says she is quite picky when it comes down to the roles she plays.

“I always want to do something different and roles that will be remembered by my audience and fans,” she explains. “I am very selective in choosing my characters and a unique script is my priority.” She adds that she wants people to see that she is a versatile actor.

With or without Wasim Akram?

Malik has been quite guarded about her personal life. While sources told The Express Tribune that Humaima was approached by cricketing legend Wasim Akram and that she declined “due to the age difference”, the star denies any connection. “At the beginning of my career, I would panic over rumours and wouldn’t know how to react to them. But with the passage of time, this seems like a part of my job,” she says. “Now, I don’t pay any heed; I treat them with ignorance.” Akram is 47, while Humaima says she is 24 years old.

“My full focus is on my career and rumours will never be able to come in my way.”

Published in The Express Tribune, July 11th, 2013.

Like Life & Style on Facebook, follow @ETLifeandStyle on Twitter for the latest in fashion, gossip and entertainment.

on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

• GS@Y
    Jul 10, 2013 - 8:50PM

Not to worry, Wasim Akram did alright in the end.

• Ahsan Raza
    Jul 10, 2013 - 9:19PM

She is 24? Are you trying to copy shahid AfridiRecommend

• Shan
    Jul 10, 2013 - 9:25PM

You are welcome in bollywood.You have a bright future as you are still young.
    A leading characters in bollywood will make you popular all over india and abroad.
    Once succeeded, there is no looking back…Hope other artists in pakistan follow soon
    and realize how big the real film industry is !

• boco
    Jul 10, 2013 - 9:28PM

‘while Humaima says she is 24 years old’ haha they add that bit as if they don’t quite believe her. Shes beautiful though, looked absolutely gorgeous in the Nida Azwer Lawn campaign.

• Jean
    Jul 10, 2013 - 9:30PM

Every pakistani artist have only one dream, that is to get a role in Indian film industry.

• Thomas
    Jul 10, 2013 - 10:21PM

If she is 24, then I’m 21, just saying

• Jean
    Jul 10, 2013 - 10:27PM

Every pakistani artist also face one difficulty to get an “Indian Visa” and for them it is tough

• faisal
    Jul 10, 2013 - 10:45PM

@Jean:

• Asif Butt
    Jul 10, 2013 - 10:50PM

@Jean:

Yes , thats the reason for our failures.

We always aim for the pathetic…

• Jean
    Jul 10, 2013 - 10:52PM

@faisal:
    We can see where the aspiration ultimately ends….Atif aslam who is this guy, beleive me never even heard before !

• Nair
    Jul 10, 2013 - 11:01PM

@faisal:
    You are wrong dear, remember thumb rule that any actor/actress need big film industry and not other way around.This is even applicable to our legend Amitabh Bachan.Any one can die at any time, but industry will move forward…

• gp65
    Jul 10, 2013 - 11:13PM

@faisal: “Atif Aslam refused to work in indian movies as he wants to revive Pakistni film industry”

Huh? Market rate of Atif Aslam’s international shows has gone up several times since he has started singing for Bollywood. This year he has sung 8 songs for Bollywood which is the maximum he has sung in a year. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atif_AslamRecommend

• np
    Jul 10, 2013 - 11:44PM

@faisal: “wrong. Atif Aslam refused to work in indian movies as he wants to revive Pakistni film industry. And there are many others with same aspiration. ”

Atif continues to sing for Bollywood. Who told you he has stopped. Even his international concerts pair him up with Indians. Once he had come with Sunidhi, once with Shreya, this year he touring with Shaan, Malaika Arora and Bipasha Basu.Recommend

• Abu salim
    Jul 11, 2013 - 12:22AM

I’m sure, if she succeed in bollywood. She will never ever look back on Pakistan film industry or even a drama. Unless a huge amount is offered to them. Well all I can is say is that best of luck. And, don’t bring a bad name to the country. Just like what, veena malik is doing right now in India.

• Julie Jahan
    Jul 11, 2013 - 5:41AM

When Pakistani audiences do not support Pakistani films why are we surprised that our actors are going to Bollywood to make their dreams come true. JOSH the film being released at EID made in Pakistan had no assistance from anyone. The producer Iram has worn different hats to promote her film. She has travelled to different countries & got screening done to let overseas Pakistanis view the new direction of the film industry. The film has packed houses & received rave reviews but since Pakistan lacks PR overseas the Government & our useless embassies that can barely provide adequate services are no show!

• GhostRider
    Jul 11, 2013 - 9:51AM

For how many years will you stay 24?

• Moved On
    Jul 11, 2013 - 10:53AM

bollywood is not only for indians to work in, but for the entre south asian community…indians, pakistanis, bangladeshis, afghans, nepalese, bhutanese…i know it would take a very long time, slowly but surely, it would help bridge differences between communities…

PS : plz stop encouraging consiracy stories that if someone from pakistan is being given a hard time in bollywood, its coz he’s a pakistani…everyone, even the indians in bollywood, dnt have bed of roses laid out for them…when the competition is so cut throat, people step over others to move forward…thats the reality…

• Mahesh
    Jul 11, 2013 - 11:11AM

@Moved On: Not only from South Asian Countries, Bollywood is welcoming talent from other continents too. Bollywood is a cut throat film industry, there is no doubt about that. Perform or Perish…

• Wah jee wah
    Jul 11, 2013 - 12:27PM

She’s 24 and I am the Queen of Sheba!

• Amitabh
    Jul 11, 2013 - 5:21PM

Well, very soon you will see her with an Indian boyfriend, wish her all the best in Bollywood.

• Padma Ghandi
    Jul 11, 2013 - 7:47PM

Looks like Pakistanis are more interested in her age then her talent it displays the lack of professional courtesy I saw on my visit to Pakistan. Pakistanis have their priorities heading in the wrong direction. No doubt that Pakistan has immense talent but local support is at its lowest instead Pakistanis tend to focus on issues that do little to lift the media industry of film & music.

• George
    Jul 11, 2013 - 8:57PM

Humaima best of luck in your bollywood aspiration.May be another kareena kapoor in making..

• Jam
    Jul 11, 2013 - 8:59PM

We have to congradulate her for her own dedication and hard work to achieve goal to work on bollywood

• Amar
    Jul 11, 2013 - 9:02PM

We have to appreciate bollywood film industry as it opens door for all talented artist irrespective of there nationality

• JK
    Jul 14, 2013 - 1:20PM

She is beautiful and talented.no looking back for her.Good luck

• bla
    Jul 18, 2013 - 10:17AM

are you sure that she got all this fame on her own and with no “help”

• sara
    Aug 9, 2013 - 12:55AM

I do believe her when she says she is 24 because she started out pretty young. BUT the age difference is such a flop excuse because she was once married to a guy twice her age (shamoon). wasn’t she 20 at the time?????

More in Gossip