GILGIT: Mobile services are to remain suspended in Gilgit Baltistan for 12 hours on May 6.
The decision to suspend cellular services on Tuesday, from 7am to 7pm, came after the Ahle Sunnat Waljamat (ASWJ) called for a strike in Gilgit-Baltistan (G-B).
A statement issued from deputy commissioner’s office said entrance and exit routes in the city, educational institutes and offices will also remain closed on Tuesday.
The ASWJ chief Nisar Ahmad had on Sunday appealed to the people to observe a peaceful strike against the Gilgit-Baltistan Empowerment and Self Rule Order 2009, under which the existing government had been elected in 2010. He said the constitutional package doesn’t accommodate aspirations of all the sects and thus needs to be revoked by the government in favour of an order that is acceptable to everyone.
“The decision (to suspend cellular services) has been taken as a precautionary measure to avoid any untoward incident during the day,” said Sajjadul Haq, a spokesperson in the Chief Secretariat.
The spokesperson said that the G-B government had sent a proposal to the interior minister, requesting them to suspend the mobile service for the day.
“In the past bitter incidents have occurred between the rival sects due to misuse of mobile phones so we didn’t want that to happen again,” he added.
The government of Pakistan has frequently resorted to the suspension of cellular services during volatile city conditions, particularly during major political rallies and significant religious holidays as a way of ensuring security.