Waqar Zaka hopes to go from cobra to constituency

Published: April 1, 2013

Waqar Zaka says he will resign if any target killing incident is reported in his constituency. PHOTO: PUBLICITY

"My fan following is diverse — from Nazimabad’s gutka-chewing audiences to Grammar School girls. I
am assessing how much my fans love me," VJ-turned-TV show host Waqar Zaka. PHOTO: PUBLICITY
KARACHI:

Here’s what you do if you want to change the way things are run in your country — you run for elections! At least that’s what sensational VJ-turned-TV show host Waqar Zaka thinks is the best solution. “If you want change, come into power,” he says.

Zaka, who boasts a cult following owing to his dare show Living on the Edge, says he wants to ‘test’ his fans. “My fan following is diverse — from Nazimabad’s gutka-chewing audiences to Grammar School girls. I am assessing how much my fans love me,” Zaka smirks, adding, “Facebook ‘likes’ do not guarantee a fan following. If my show’s ratings are soaring high, then they should translate in a strong voters’ turnout for me.” He also boasts that the (burger crowd) that doesn’t participate in other shows, makes an exception for Living on the Edge.

The TV personality seems serious about participating in this year’s general elections from NA-253 constituency. “I am approaching different political parties to get a ticket,” he says. “If I am not given a party ticket, then I will run for elections as an independent candidate.” His efforts will surely help his upcoming show Main Banoonga Minister get eyeballs in this highly-charged elections environment.

Everyone said no — except the MQM

“I have reached out to the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM), Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) and Awami National Party (ANP) so far,” Zaka says. “I am open to joining any political party which gives me a ticket.” He confesses, however, that the only party that has paid heed to his requests is the MQM. “I am not a supporter of the MQM,” he clarifies. “But it is the only party that welcomed me! I even went to Bilawal House — they did not let me in.”

Zaka then shared an anecdote about his encounter with the ANP’s Bashir Jan, who he claims did not entertain him because ‘the party doesn’t hire men with long hair’. The TV show host is hopeful that the courts will declare him eligible for elections, and promises to ask his fans for advice on which party to join.

Yes to entertainment

“You might laugh at my manifesto, but all the points speak for people’s needs,” begins Zaka, defending his ideology lest one thinks it’s a joke. Unveiling his election strategy, he elaborates, “Education weducation bakwas baatein hain. Perhne likhne se insan lethal banjata hai (Education is all non-sense. It makes one lethal).”

“My basic idea is to open the doors of entertainment for the masses,” says Zaka. “Everyone wants to become famous. But when they don’t get that fame, they resort to protests [for entertainment]. This is why you see people grinning while they crash and burn public property in the name of Ishq-e-Rasool.”

He promises to provide free Wi-Fi and gaming zones before electricity and water. “Bijli and paani come way after that — people want tafreeh [fun] first.” He solemnly adds that he will resign if any incident of target killing is reported in his constituency. “I will do things that are possible,” he says, adding that he has been daring enough to handle cobras and crocodiles on set.

Published in The Express Tribune, April 2nd, 2013.

Like Life & Style on Facebook for the latest in fashion, gossip and entertainment.

on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

• Jadoon
    Apr 1, 2013 - 8:20PM

He is the ideal candidate for the minister of youth development in next PTI cabinet.

• rz
    Apr 1, 2013 - 8:39PM

i are a free country citizen :p

• Shaami
    Apr 1, 2013 - 8:47PM

Zaka said that ANP’s Bashir Jan said that they dont entertain the people with Long hair. Zaka is fortunate that ANP members did not entertained him actually like they entertain the guys with short hair,…..:)..Anyway parties like ANP are nationalist and Racist parties as these parties go for one type of Ethnicity and Race to get all the votes and these parties are a source of Segregation in societies rather than Any Integration and i think in future the parties like these must cease to exist to create a more homogeneous society..

• HRK
    Apr 1, 2013 - 8:48PM

He promises to provide free Wi-Fi and gaming zones before electricity and
    water. “Bijli and paani come way after that — people want tafreeh [fun] first.”

And he’s going to do it through solar energy I presume? His IQ level puts George W. Bush to shame!

• Falcon
    Apr 1, 2013 - 9:06PM

This guy’s view of country’s problems are funny to say the least…

• fus
    Apr 1, 2013 - 9:19PM

hmmmm, April fool news for the readers I guess.

• Apr 1, 2013 - 9:25PM

I would never vote him, even other sensible people too. It seems good way to earn money by entering constitution after getting some fame.

• Hammad Ansari
    Apr 1, 2013 - 9:26PM

I dont want to live in this world anymore…! :(

• Shamy
    Apr 1, 2013 - 9:26PM

3 highly intellectual questions/statements for Waqar:

What is wrong in being from Nazimabad ? and what is wrong if you are not from Grammar School ?
    If you think Entertainment supersedes Education, then you should definitely be elected (seroius pun intended)
    How can you operate Wi-Fi and Gaming zones without electricity ?

• Apr 1, 2013 - 9:49PM

What is wrong with us?? Why do have to criticize just for the sake of it. Try and open your eyes. This guy runs the only reality show of Pakistan, and ran it successfully. Have you heard what he speaks regarding Pakistan? He is one of the most patriotic among many TV Hosts or even the general public. Whatever his style is, that makes the people watch him? Whats so wrong with it? And why do you even hide your own liking for his show? Why be hypocrites? I know everyone of you likes his show, watches one way or the another. Just ashamed to like the fb post dost kya sochenge?. Is that it? Is that all you can do? Be yourself and dont lie, at least with yourself. He may not be the next Imran Khan or something, but he is surely better then those fake degree holders who get elected and abuse Pakistan and its ideology. Hate for the sake of hate, hate for the sake of pleasing friends? Why cant we just appreciate what we have? If the same show was on some Indian TV, we would have been nothing but craving that something in Pak ran, at least little bit similar but when you have it.. As some one rightly said “Ghar ki Murghi Daal Birabar”. sigh

• Faizan
    Apr 1, 2013 - 9:55PM

Not sure if real or troll.

• Breaking Bad
    Apr 1, 2013 - 9:59PM

I have never seen your show but I say go for it. The voters of Pakistan has nothing to lose if you know what I mean. Maybe it is too early to see any comments but I didnt see any.

• Breaking Bad
    Apr 1, 2013 - 10:01PM

@Jadoon:
    sorry to burst your bubble but he didnt mention PTI

• Fanta
    Apr 1, 2013 - 10:38PM

@ Breaking Bad: Hahaha, PTI would’ve thrown this cartoon out by the scruff of his neck!

But seriously, is this guy really serious about this? Bichara, he’s in for a real treat!

• Bilal
    Apr 1, 2013 - 10:45PM

He is doing what Veena Malik did.

• UK
    Apr 1, 2013 - 11:17PM

Half way through the article I noticed the date Ist of April. Good One.

• FN
    Apr 1, 2013 - 11:30PM

Another attention seeker wanting to hit headlines. Move along

• sami
    Apr 2, 2013 - 12:26AM

I would rather cover myself with honey and sit on a fire ant hill nude !!. … cheap publicity stunt …

• Mishal
    Apr 2, 2013 - 12:51AM

I sincerely hope this is an April Fools prank. o_o

• MubbashirAbbas
    Apr 2, 2013 - 2:39AM

He seems to be an ideal competition for Meera. God help them both.Recommend

• Saadi
    Apr 2, 2013 - 3:45AM

if this is a 1st april joke.. then its a sick one..

• Marjorie
    Apr 2, 2013 - 4:10AM

I reckon no political party shares his sense of humor!

• Moosa Khan
    Apr 2, 2013 - 7:37AM

Nothing fun in his shows but disgrace of innocents.

• NunuSKhan
    Apr 2, 2013 - 7:37AM

Is this a joke?

• Invincible
    Apr 2, 2013 - 8:33AM

Well this is some kind of silly joke…i can a lot of guys like him on the way down to my university…if this is CHANGE,i really DON’T want CHANGE.

• GhostRider
    Apr 2, 2013 - 8:55AM

Mr. Zaka your manifesto makes me think that you take elections as a joke. Elections are not a cheap stunt (like your show) please have some respect for the nation.

• faris
    Apr 2, 2013 - 9:00AM

verrrryyyy cheap stunt ..Recommend

• zindabhag
    Apr 2, 2013 - 9:25AM

Nonsense. He doesn’t know which party to join because he lacks `maqsad’ of becoming politician, just like our so called traditional politician looto or footo. Stupid thinking.

• M. Rafique Zakaria
    Apr 2, 2013 - 10:27AM

Nothing but publicity stunt.

• NF
    Apr 2, 2013 - 11:45AM

Attempt to fool the nation on April 1st.
    Considering he has a fan following from Nazimabad to DHA…. I think he is making fool of himself :)

• Ge
    Apr 2, 2013 - 1:35PM

Fake Interview. Saw him on tv few days back, what he said on air made sense to me,even though I am not his fan and not a regular audience for his shows but this guy actually made sense, either this interview is all made up by Tribune since he is a part of another channel or something is definitely wrong here…….

• Asad
    Apr 2, 2013 - 1:56PM

Dont tell me if that is april fool .. coz its quite lame !! :p

• sana
    Apr 2, 2013 - 2:26PM

if the free wi-fi zones will have access to youtube he has my vote.

btw, bijli is privatized in karachi anyway so don’t know why politicians keep talking about it.

• King
    Apr 2, 2013 - 3:01PM

hahaha !!! what a joke…

• DG
    Apr 2, 2013 - 3:02PM

Living way over the edge.

• Ali
    Apr 2, 2013 - 4:26PM

Another publicity stunt? Couldn’t stop my laughter.. He proved he is a good entertainer..

• Black
    Apr 2, 2013 - 5:24PM

Needs to fall from an edge.Recommend

• Adnan
    Apr 2, 2013 - 7:35PM

Nothing much to say about intellectual accolade of us as a nation, when you see this news item on third position on most viewed news for the day!!!

• Loki
    Apr 3, 2013 - 5:21AM

@Bilal:
    Why always hav to criticize him ??? why dont support him ? if you think you are more good or daring than him then then why dont you go out

• Loki
    Apr 3, 2013 - 5:28AM

@GhostRider:
    His show is not cheap his show is Pakistan’s only Reality show and if his show was running on an indian channel you would be supporting him and praising him because we all as a nation LOVE and ADORE what we see on indian channels but dont support our own actors so pay respect to him because he has the gutts to say what is right on every ones face instead of talking behind their backs !!!!

• Ayesha Ali
    Apr 7, 2013 - 1:24PM

Its fake..

• arslan
    Apr 9, 2013 - 2:47PM

I understand all of you agreeing and disagreeing, sure his reality show is best, sure he is a good entertainer, sure he is a smart person, but have any of you met him personally? ever? I have been to outings with him in my days of music productions in touch with Indus Music and The Muzik channels. This person certainly dont deserve to be a leader apart from that being said “no one can become a leader, people are born leaders” so he is not a leader he is an entertainer of an amateur crowd. there are much more bigger issues than wifi ang gaming zones,

• Dude
    May 3, 2013 - 12:33AM

Waqar zaka will open up shady sheesha places … That is my worst nightmare … If he comes to office

More in Life & Style