Malala goes back to school

By AFP
Published: March 19, 2013

"I am excited that today I have achieved my dream of going back to school," says Malala. PHOTO: AFP

LONDON: Child activist Malala Yousafzai returned to school on Tuesday for the first time since she was shot in the head by the Taliban in October for campaigning for girls’ education.

The 15-year-old said she had “achieved her dream” and was looking forward to meeting new friends at the independent Edgbaston High School for Girls in Birmingham, central England, where she is now living.

Malala was flown to Britain after the attack for surgery for her head injuries and underwent several operations as recently as last month.

“I am excited that today I have achieved my dream of going back to school,” she said in a statement. “I want all girls in the world to have this basic opportunity.”

She added that “I miss my classmates from Pakistan very much but I am looking forward to meeting my teachers and making new friends here in Birmingham.”

She will be studying a full curriculum in preparation for selecting subjects for GCSEs, the exams that English schoolchildren sit when they are aged between 14 and 16.

Malala was shot at point-blank range by a Taliban gunman as her school bus travelled through Swat Valley on October 9, in an attack that drew worldwide condemnation.

She has since become a global symbol of the campaign for girls’ right to an education and has been nominated for this year’s Nobel Peace Prize.

UN education envoy and former British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who has backed Malala’s cause, said it was a “great day.”

“This is a great day for Malala, for her family — and for the cause of education worldwide,” Brown said in a statement.

“By her courage, Malala shows that nothing — not even bullets, intimidation or death threats — can stand in the way of the right of every girl to an education.

“I wish Malala and her family well as her courageous recovery continues.”

Malala was discharged from hospital in early February after surgery to fit a custom-made piece of titanium to her skull and an electronic implant to help restore hearing to her left ear.

Her father Ziauddin Yousafzai is serving as Brown’s special adviser on education and her family have temporarily moved to Birmingham, a city with a large Pakistani population.

• Jain
    Mar 19, 2013 - 7:36PM

Amazing…
    I haven’t seen a single comment from the Extremist against Malala on this report.

• Altaf Khan
    Mar 19, 2013 - 7:48PM

they are busy with their 23 march jalsa..

• Umer
    Mar 19, 2013 - 8:18PM

@Jain:
    Read the comments on ‘The Sun’ link in the article.

• GS@Y
    Mar 19, 2013 - 8:51PM

@Umer: Those comments are disgraceful!

• HST
    Mar 19, 2013 - 9:12PM

Although I’m her fan and I believe in none of the conspiracy stuff thrown at her, I’m a wee bit disappointed that she is continuing her education in UK. I mean it is alright from the safety point of view but on the other hand it falls short of the heroism she stood up for so dearly.

• Ali S
    Mar 19, 2013 - 9:15PM

So she’s settled down in the UK then?

• NJ
    Mar 19, 2013 - 9:29PM

no it doesnt, shes a 15 year old who is not armed to face taliban. its a country where politicians are shot on the road. how can we call her back if we cant give her security. ppl are being killed everyday. professors, doctors, social workers. noone in pakistan can guarantee her security and in fact many can vouch that she will be targeted again if she returns right now.

• Rameez
    Mar 19, 2013 - 9:34PM

But her father said that she is there for medical treatment.

What is next…..nobel prize , British passport and celebrity status for life….

• NJ
    Mar 19, 2013 - 9:35PM

Everyone who is degrading her going to school in the UK, if it was your own sister or daughter, would you welcome her back to face taliban who have said that they will shoot again if she returns! we have failed in protecting our people. lets not blame her for what we should be ashamed about. Taliban are thriving in this country more than education or educators. and thats not her fault.

• Bay
    Mar 19, 2013 - 11:12PM

“Well I am pretty much disappointed from Talibans, they hijacked and crashed airplanes out there but couldnt hit a bullet straight into her head.” If I believe you all.

• Ali
    Mar 19, 2013 - 11:21PM

It is very tragic what happened to her. Her popularity in western media is mere propaganda. Time to let her live her life now.

• Ahsan
    Mar 19, 2013 - 11:49PM

Is Malala that important than innocent girls/families that are being killed by drone attacks? who can never come back!

• David K
    Mar 20, 2013 - 12:02AM

Topi Drama ! just propaganda !

• AliA
    Mar 20, 2013 - 12:08AM

I dont know…at times she seem fake or at least over doing it…I mean no 15 year old is that much excited to go to school. I guess we will find out how her grades turn out to be if she is that much into school and education. What is concerning to me more is the other girl who was shot with Malala and she is back in the same grind and no one is even talking about her…why only malala…??? I dont know…may be I am over doing it…

• Vish
    Mar 20, 2013 - 12:36AM

Way to go girl. She had more guts then all the keyboard warriors, criticising her. She has faced bullets which none of us here would dare to. She has spoken up in a country where even politicians, with security, are scared to speak out. So now she reaps her just rewards with a job for her father in the U.K. and a private school education, in England, which even most locals cannot afford.

• expaki
    Mar 20, 2013 - 1:12AM

@Ali S Sahib, this was not her choice.

• Osman
    Mar 20, 2013 - 1:30AM

Finally she’s not reading a book in this picture!

• naeem khan Manhattan,Ks
    Mar 20, 2013 - 1:50AM

I wish her the best of luck and keep going girl, we are applauding for you and your courage.Recommend

• Umer
    Mar 20, 2013 - 2:14AM

@Rameez:

What is next…..nobel prize , British passport and celebrity status for life….

You should have taken bullet instead of her.

• Jain
    Mar 20, 2013 - 2:17AM

There comes typical Pakistani extremists….
    @Bay and @David K, now Malala is going to be presented as the worst girl on the planet.

• Nassi
    Mar 20, 2013 - 2:38AM

Another truly resounding slap in the face for coward terrorists and their sympathisers from Malala.

• Umer
    Mar 20, 2013 - 3:58AM

At £3335 per teem its not a cheap school. Which kid wouldn’t love to go to this school.

Edgbaston High – Fees

• H2A
    Mar 20, 2013 - 4:39AM

@HST – I am sorry, what did you say? You prefer heroism and not her life? I think she has shown enough of it by risking her life already.

• Khan
    Mar 20, 2013 - 9:30AM

Now that is truly heroic. Malala’s commitment to education for girls remains steadfast. Whether she goes to school in UK or Pakistan does not matter (don’t forget that every Pakistani kid who is serious about education aims for GCSE’s). The fact is that she is continuing her education within six months of a near-death experience. That is no minor achievement in itself. She has taken the first steps to building her life afresh. Malala is a shining beacon of hope for Pakistani girls. There is no denying that she will continue her struggle for education for girls not just in Pakistan but beyond. But for that she needs to go to school, play with other kids, get a good education. Don’t forget that she is still a child. If her parents decide she goes to school in Birmingham, that’s their choice. No one else has a right to feel disappointed that she did not come back to Pakistan to continue her education.

• Yaow
    Mar 20, 2013 - 11:02AM

Sigh. Seems like you can’t ever come to any news in tribune without coming across some narrow minded individual trying to bash PTI. Anyways, God bless Malala and hope she continues her educational journey safely.

• ezanius
    Mar 20, 2013 - 2:29PM

and she lived happily ever after….. (in London)

• Adnan
    Mar 20, 2013 - 3:24PM

The school in which Malala is going is a private school with fee of nearly £1200 per month. Average salary in UK is about £1800 per month so you can imagine that even if a person is earning 3-4 times of the average salary they will think twice before sending their kids to these schools.
    I think she is really a miracle girl, survived gun shot from point blank, dad got a job as special adviser on education in UN, her self going to a prestigious school and than when people say about conspiracy, well we say that we are always suspect conspiracy in any event!!!

• G. Din
    Mar 21, 2013 - 12:38AM

I am happy to see that she has recovered well. The droop on the left side of her face is corrected quite a bit. Jai ho, Malalai! The best is yet to come! Persevere!