The Prime Minister Secretariat has rejected a summary put forward by the Capital Administration and Development Division (CADD) recommending the names for the position of Federal Directorate of Education (FDE) Director General.
The summary was rejected on the grounds that the post is not a discretionary one and is supposed to be filled by a senior FDE official.
According to official sources, CADD had recommended three names – Islamabad Model College for Boys I-10/1 Principal Prof Mujahid Zameer, Federal Government College of Commerce H-8/4 Principal Prof Abdul Hafiz and Islamabad Model College for Boys G-6/2 Principal Chaudhry Muzaffar.
The secretariat has now sought a fresh summary that includes the names of eligible officials from FDE.
On May 18, the apex court dismissed former FDE chief Atif Mehmood Kayani, calling him “a half literate person” in its verdict on a petition filed by a senior FDE director, Shahnaz Riaz.
The court had also directed CADD to fill the position with an appropriate person immediately. However, the position has been lying vacant despite the passage of over a month now.
According to CADD officials, Riaz’s name had been excluded from the summary as she had served as the director general earlier and was removed due to her poor performance.
However, official sources claimed she had personal disputes with certain CADD officials, including a joint secretary, which was the key hurdle in her reappointment despite the fact that she was a PhD from Columbia University and the senior most officer of FDE.
Shahnaz Riaz is the senior-most FDE director, but she is sans office and the authorities are making hectic efforts to bring in a person of their own choice rather selecting on merit, sources said.
According to Riaz, a particular lobby was the main cause behind her poor performance during her tenure as the DG as she wasn’t given the required staff and facilities to carry out her duties.
CADD Secretary Imtiaz Inayat Elahi, when contacted, said he was unaware that the summary had been rejected, adding that he will check on it on Monday.
Published In The Express Tribune, June 24th, 2012.
More in PakistanNORI: Cancer patients suffer without ACs