KARACHI: Sindh Information Minister Sharjeel Memon has said that the leaders of Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz (PML-N) would set the courts on fire if the Supreme Court (SC) had disqualified their prime minister.
Addressing a news conference at his office on Thursday Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) has reservations over the SC’s decision against Yousaf Raza Gilani, but it has accepted the decision to avoid confrontation.
Memon said that they had a doubt that the SC would deliver a verdict against the prime minister.
He said that the judicial trial of PPP’s leadership began 11 years ago, but charges levelled against them were never proven.
Regarding corruption, the information minister said that the Leader of the Opposition Chaudhry Nisar, who headed the Public Accounts Committee of the National Assembly for last four years, should have raised, if any corruption cases had been proved against the incumbent government.
He appealed to the Chief Justice of Pakistan, Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry to take suo motu notice of arson and attack on the houses of elected representatives in Punjab province.
“Action was not taken against those people who are being patronised by chief minister Punjab to set the public assets on fire,” he added.
Holding Nawaz’s responsible for the swirling power crisis he said that, “If Keti Bunder project initiated by Benazir Bhutto to generate power from coal had not been shelved by Nawaz Sharif, the country would not have faced the problem of load shedding. PML-N government and Sharif brothers are responsible for current energy crises,” he remarked.
Published in The Express Tribune, June 22nd, 2012.