Adviser to the Prime Minister on Interior Affairs Rehman Malik said on Wednesday that he would file for damages worth Rs3 billion against all TV anchors who dragged him into the Arsalan Iftikhar case, Express News reported.
“Today, I called my lawyer and am going to file for damages worth Rs3 billion against all anchors who took my name and for this, as advised by my lawyer, if any other action is required, I will take it,” said Malik.
Malik also claimed that he had nothing to do with the Arsalan Iftikhar case and denied making any video of Dr Arsalan, the son of Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, let alone providing it to real estate tycoon Malik Riaz.
Malik went on to add that if he or any agency working under him was found involved in the matter, “he would quit politics forever”.
Referring to allegations that he made a video of Arsalan Iftikhar, Malik said he had already sworn upon his children denying any knowledge or involvement in such an act.
“Today too I say, neither my government, nor I, did any such thing,” he said.
The former interior minister said that he would appeal to the Supreme Court to summon him if anyone was doubtful about his involvement in the case, adding that he was willing to give a statement under oath.
Malik went on to plea to the media to stop dragging his name into issues, simply to increase ratings, viewership or readership.
“I feel that there should always be elements of responsibility, and that which lacks truth; which cannot be coloured, don’t try to colour it,” said the PM’s adviser, adding that even when someone’s buffalo is robbed, the media blames him for it.
Published In The Express Tribune, June 14th, 2012.
More in PakistanUSAID for democracy: Monitors trained for elections