KARACHI: Formal building works in the proposed Zulfikarabad city will start next month, said a press handout from the president’s secretariat on Wednesday.
Work on the six-kilometer-long, Rs3.7 billion Dhandhari Bridge on the Indus, connecting the new city with Garho in Thatta district, will start on June 15. A route survey for the 44-kilometre-long Zulfikarabad Expressway connecting Gharo to the bridge and then on to Shah Bunder has been completed and the bid documents are being finalised.
This was stated at a special meeting at Bilawal House Karachi to review progress on Zulfikarabad chaired by President Asif Ali Zardari and attended among others by Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah, Finance Minister Murad Ali Shah, Chief Secretary Raja Muhammad Abbas, the Board of Revenue’s Shahzar Shamoon, ZDA Managing Director Lt. Gen. (r) Iftikhar Hussain Shah, the president’s secretary general M. Salman Faruqui, Spokesperson Senator Farhatullah Babar.
Babar said that the special meeting had been called to monitor the progress ahead of the president’s visit to China next week. The Chinese have agreed to help build the new city by building a Special Economic Zone in Zulfikarabad as its hub.
The president said that the status of work should be put on the internet for the benefit of local as well as foreign investors. They should be able to monitor the project with satellite imagery.
Zulfiqarabad Development Authority’s MD Lt. Gen. (r) Iftikhar Hussain Shah spoke of a visit by a team of experts of the Sindh and federal governments and meetings with Chinese entrepreneurs on studying the Shenzhen model to develop a new city.
Published in The Express Tribune, May 31st, 2012.