HARIPUR: A minor girl was killed and her mother was injured in a fire on Thursday evening. The police quoted Babar, a sweeper of Tehsil Municipal Administration, as saying that his wife Rani, 27, was preparing dinner when suddenly a fire erupted in the kitchen, injuring Rani and her seven-year-old daughter Alisha. The two were taken to Women and Children Hospital, where the girl died of burn injuries while Rani was shifted to Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences Burn Centre with 90% burn injuries. The complainant suspected that the fire broke out due to gas leakage from a damaged pipe attached to the stove. However, the police said the woman was not in a position to record her statement and the real cause of the fire could only be ascertained when she recovers.
Published in The Express Tribune, May 19th, 2012.
More in PakistanBusted: Drug smuggling bid foiled