ATTOCK: A girl was killed and her brother was injured in a fire in Awan Sharif area on Thursday. According to the police, Atif Ahsan, 9, and his sister Hadiqa, 5, had lit a candle in their bedroom during loadshedding. The room caught fire after the candle fell on their bed which was covered with a nylon sheet. The two were seriously injured and were rescued by Rescue 1122 workers and taken to District Headquarters Hospital Attock, where Hadiqa died of her injuries. Atif was shifted to Holy Family Hospital in Rawalpindi owing to his serious condition.
Published in The Express Tribune, May 18th, 2012.