The Gilgit-Baltistan (G-B) government has decided to constitute a judicial commission to probe last month’s sectarian bout which claimed over 20 lives in the mountain region. The decision was taken during a cabinet meeting chaired by G-B Chief Minister Syed Mehdi Shah on Monday.
Government Spokesperson Ali Madad Sher apprised the participants that the government has arrested 21 outlaws wanted for bloodshed and has issued orders to arrest nine others. The security force formed in the wake of sectarian violence has also started operation on Karakoram Highway, he said.
Sher said that to ensure sustainable peace, a grand jirga will be formed, while the code of conduct prepared by a peace committee to bar clerics from making hate speeches will be presented in the upcoming assembly session to provide it a legal cover.
The Masjid Board, he said, has signed the code, while the government has extended a deadline for prayer leaders to endorse it. The code also binds prayer leaders from talking against their rival sects’ beliefs and revered personalities.
Published in The Express Tribune, May 15th, 2012.
More in PakistanAssistance: Japan gives $0.61m for promotion of culture