FAISALABAD: A Jhang family has migrated to Kamalia following death threats they said they were receiving from kidnappers of two women of the family, said Muhammad Sadiq, a brother of the abducted women.
He said the family had decided to leave their native village, Chak No463, in view of the threat to their lives by the suspects none of whom had yet been arrested. He requested the government to ensure safe recovery of his sisters. “I will self immolate in front of the chief minister’s house if we don’t get justice,” he said. Sadiq said two cases had been registered with Satellite Town police against nine suspects. The FIR registered on April 5 states that the nine men had raided the family’s home and beaten them for filing a sexual assault case against their five supporters. The sexual assault case had been registered following the kidnapping of the women on February 26. Satellite Town SHO Asif Imran Qureshi said raids were underway to arrest the suspects. He said they had locked their houses in the area and left the village.
Published in The Express Tribune, May 14th, 2012.
More in PunjabPopulation welfare: Workers protest dissolution proposal