KARACHI: Former Sindh information minister and Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) MPA Sharjeel Inam Memon said the party would show a “glimpse” of its strength at its planned rally on the Sindh-Punjab border on May 12.
“Benazir Bhutto had also protested at this location and we will put on a preview of our strength. Our workers are ready to defend their leadership,” he said. The rally is scheduled to take place in Kamoon Shaheed near Ubauro.
Memon seems to have taken on the charge of criticising the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leadership that has started to protest against the PPP. “If the PML-N brings out 5,000 people, we will have 500,000,” he claimed. “Nawaz Sharif says the people are not with the PPP, we will prove otherwise.”
Memon spoke to reporters outside the Sindh Assembly on Monday and offered a running critique of the PML-N. “Chaudhry Nisar,” he said, referring to the leader of the opposition in the National Assembly, “begged us till 2008 to let him join the PPP.” Memon said that the PML-N’s rally in Taxila on Sunday was a rally of ‘patwaris and school teachers’ since the party could not amass support. He also said that the PML-N was taking on board those Sindh-based politicians who had already been rejected by the people, such as former chief minister Liaquat Jatoi and Sindh National Front chairperson Mumtaz Bhutto. “Wherever the Sharif brothers go, they make that place impure. We will have to wash it off Sindh.”
“If the PML-N had any moral courage, it would have staged a long march against Pervez Musharraf,” Memon said. “They don’t accept the president and prime minister, but they accept a dictator who they’ve done deals with.” He said the PML-N was doing politics under the cover of the judiciary.
Memon also said Babar Awan, the former federal law minister who is currently being sidelined by the PPP, was not defending Memon in his contempt of court case.
“How can a man who cannot even defend himself – he went to the court and apologised in his own contempt case – defend me? If the case against me starts up again I will defend myself, I don’t need a lawyer. I will say such truths and provide records in the court so they see who else is also liable to be charged with contempt.”
Published in The Express Tribune, May 8th, 2012.