Missing since August 2011: CMH chief told to produce man

Published: May 3, 2012

Wife says his name had been cleared from all charges after a thorough inquiry and he was released after being picked up in August 2011 again. Kalsoom said Ilyas is being kept in detention without a reason. PHOTO: FILE

RAWALPINDI: 

The Combined Military Hospital’s (CMH) commandant was directed on Wednesday to produce an under-treatment retired army subedar missing since August 2011.

Justice Sagheer Ahmed Qadri of Lahore High Court Rawalpindi Bench directed a government lawyer to convey the court orders to the military authorities. The petition was filed by Kalsoom Akhtar, wife of Subedar Muhammad Ilyas.

Kalsoom’s lawyer told the court that Ilyas’s family had found out that he was being kept in the CMH as he was ill. He added that Jhelum’s DPO had already informed an inquiry commission that Ilyas was in the custody of the military authorities.

Making secretary defence, Military Intelligence Director General, GHQ Judge Advocate General, and DPO Jhelum as respondents, Kalsoom urged the high court to direct the authorities to release her husband.

She said the military authorities had carried out various inquiries against her husband on the complaints of some of her relatives that Ilyas was a criminal and had amassed assets and wealth. She alleged that the Jhelum police registered a murder case against some of their relatives who later passed the blame on to her husband and complained to the military authorities.

His name had been cleared from all charges after a thorough inquiry and he was released after being picked up in August 2011 again. Kalsoom said Ilyas is being kept in detention without a reason.

Published in The Express Tribune, May 3rd, 2012.

More in Pakistan