I am an actor, not an entrepreneur: SRK

Published: April 16, 2012

Bollywood star Shahrukh Khan says he wants to make a difference in the world with his acting. PHOTO: FILE

Bollywood superstar Shahrukh Khan who co-owns the Kolkata Knight Riders IPL franchise and runs a film production house, said he was not an entrepreneur but an actor who endeavours to make a difference with his acting, reports IANS.

“I am hardly an entrepreneur. I don’t even think of myself as a star. I see myself as someone who is trying to make a difference with his acting,” said Khan addressing the media at the inauguration of Prayag Film City (PFC). “I come from a middle-class background. I like to work 18-20 hours a day and for the last 30 years I have been following this schedule. I have two passions: sports and film-making. I have a production house and a cricket franchise,” said Khan.

Khan, who was present at the curtain-raiser of the phase-1 of the sprawling PFC, said the facility will make a difference to the art of film-making not only in eastern India but to the entire film fraternity of the country.

The actor also regaled the gathering with some of his famous dialogues from his films Don, Baazigar and Devdas and danced to a popular song from the movie Ra-One.

A victim of US random selection system

It has been revealed that the recent detention and the two-hour questioning of the star at a small airport in New York could have been a result of the random selection parameter built into the US immigration’s security system rather than only racial profiling. The question whether that parameter was designed deliberately to focus on people of certain names, religion, background, nationality or race has cropped up again. The possible answer is unlikely to placate a certain segment of Indian population that feels outraged at the actor’s treatment.

Khan’s name or one that closely resembles his appears to be on a list of over a million others that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has compiled of people it thinks are, at the very least, of suspicious people. Getting off that list for those like the actor who have absolutely nothing to do with terrorism has been known to be a nightmare in America.

(With additional information from Times of India)

Published in The Express Tribune, April 17th, 2012.

on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

• mr. righty rightist
    Apr 16, 2012 - 10:57PM

Hahahahahaha! ROFL.

The only way this mediocrity can become an actor is if he wears a headband reading “I’m an actor” in every film he acts!

We Indians are duffers for elevating these mediocrities to the level of stars.

• Rahi
    Apr 16, 2012 - 11:37PM

He really is a contradicting fellow and is constantly saying things to impress others. One minute he calls himself a superstar, the next he is a modest actor, one minute he is the arrogant King Khan, the next a sweet little man who does see himself as a star. I used to like his earlier work in the films, and only in the films. Since his fame has gotten to head one cannot watch his interviews without wincing.

• G. Din
    Apr 17, 2012 - 2:19AM

This Khan is eminently ignorable. But, there are other Khans. See the video “Satyameva Jayate” by Aamir! Now there is a Khan that really impresses with his considerable talent.

• Rafi Ka Deewana
    Apr 17, 2012 - 2:27AM

“Kuch Kuch Hota Hai” was the last time I liked SRK. Now he is intolerable.

• Ali Salman
    Apr 17, 2012 - 2:48AM

@rahi…and yet you clicked the link and read the whole article, that’s exactly the power of brand SRK… :)

• Adil
    Apr 17, 2012 - 4:35AM

He’s not an entrepreneur,then who forced him to buy KKR at the first place?The team didn’t perform well,and SRK invited mockery on behalf of Big B and Salman Khan. I have been a great admirer of Shah Rukh Khan since my childhood and would love to see him increase frequency of his movies per year the way Ajay Devgan and Amitabh Bachchan does….I would love to see him performing roles like Darr and Bazigar and do movies that give social lessons and depict reality such as Company,A Wednesday etc……

• Jay Ch
    Apr 17, 2012 - 10:19AM

gosh on Express urdu it say JFK airport , and here it says Small Airport … me is confused …

• alicia
    Apr 17, 2012 - 3:53PM

I liked sharrukh khan but I think his acting and expressions are weird. Has anyone else noticed that he shakes his neck and head a lot while acting even the smallest of scenes. He just annoys me with his dialogue delivery too.

• Rahil
    Apr 18, 2012 - 4:47AM

@Ali Salman:

Interesting point. Would you call Veena Malik a power brand too? Do only her fans click on links related to her?

Besides, if you read my comment you’ll come to realise, as I said that I used to like his earlier work. Its sad that when you watch his interviews to get a glimpse of the actor behind the character it feels as if he is still acting.

More in Gossip