Backing myself to finish on a high: Ricky Ponting

By AFP
Published: February 22, 2012

Dumped from ODI side, Ponting vows to carry on in Tests. PHOTO: AGENCIES

SYDNEY: Ricky Ponting, the second-highest scorer in One-Day Internationals (ODI), vowed to fight on in Australia’s Test team despite being dumped from the limited-overs side.

Ponting said he had been informed by selectors that he did not fit into their plans for the ODI team, but despite speculation about his future, stressed that he would not be retiring from the five-day game.

“I will continue playing Test cricket and I’ll continue playing for Tasmania as well,” Ponting told a news conference at the Sydney Cricket Ground. “I think I proved that I’m still capable of dominating Test cricket as I did in the last series against India.”

Ponting’s ODI sacking comes less than a month after his commanding role in Australia’s 4-0 clean sweep against India, when he scored 544 runs with two centuries and three 50s.

However, he was dumped from the ODI side just a day after he led Australia to a crushing 110-run ODI win over India in Brisbane as stand-in captain for the injured Michael Clarke.

Chief selector John Inverarity had said Ponting was dropped due to a lack of form after just 18 runs in five knocks in the tri-series featuring India and Sri Lanka.

Looks forward to West Indies series

The 37-year-old said he would look to extend his 162-Test career in the West Indies in April and remained motivated to do well.

Ponting was also defiant that he will finish his illustrious playing career on his own terms and not be discarded by selectors.

“I’m backing myself to finish the game on a high and I’ll make the right decision at the right time.

Ponting’s big task now will be to adequately prepare himself for Test cricket, with international ODIs no longer an option.

Published in The Express Tribune, February 22nd, 2012.

More in Sports